Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Using Python with SyBase

Using Python with SyBase

Widom

Does anybody expirience Python for writing user front-end screens for
SyBase-Anyware databse ?
Where can I found more information how handle SyBase SQL-Anyware from Python
?
Meybe it sounds strange but I am looking for languguage I can write TEXT
mode front-end software (in IBM old style) for diferent platforms (Windows,
Linux, Palm OS etc).
Tomasz

Tim Golden

Widom wrote:
> Does anybody expirience Python for writing user front-end screens for
> SyBase-Anyware databse ?
> Where can I found more information how handle SyBase SQL-Anyware from Python
> ?
> Meybe it sounds strange but I am looking for languguage I can write TEXT
> mode front-end software (in IBM old style) for diferent platforms (Windows,
> Linux, Palm OS etc).
> Tomasz

Don't know if this helps, but Object Craft have a module
to interface to Sybase ASE from Python at
http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/sybase/

Might be worth a look.

TJG

Skip Montanaro

Widom> Does anybody expirience Python for writing user front-end screens
Widom> for SyBase-Anyware databse ?

None here. Have you asked on the http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-craft.com.au
mailing list?

Skip

francois lepoutre

Hi,

> Does anybody expirience Python for writing user
> front-end screens for SyBase-Anyware database ?

Sybase Anywhere ASA (ex-watcom sql) is an
odbc-orientated dbms solution from Sybase.

We have been succssful using it from python via
mxodbc both on linux (some tweaking may be
required) and win32 (plain easy).

I have no experience or feedback of ASA
connections through FreeTDS.

It should work as well... I'd be glad to hear
that it does

Franšois

Tomasz

Hello Francois,

Thank you for repling.

I am exately interesting in old ex-wotcom sql oriented products. At the
moment I still use old WatCom 4.0 but I like to transfer to new ASA
products. Becouse I am not so happy with visual products (Visual Basic,
Power Builder etc.), I am looking for nice languague I can easly write
front-end screens in text mode. Python gives me a good fealling for that it
seams it is what I am looking for. I am bit afreraid for stability of Python
and for speed relaibility (it is just an interpreter only).

Please let me know your opinion if any.

Best Regards,

Tomasz

U┐ytkownik "francois lepoutre" <(E-Mail Removed)> napisa│ w
wiadomoÂci news:40dbbf6b$0$16984$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> > Does anybody expirience Python for writing user
> > front-end screens for SyBase-Anyware database ?

> Sybase Anywhere ASA (ex-watcom sql) is an
> odbc-orientated dbms solution from Sybase.
>
> We have been succssful using it from python via
> mxodbc both on linux (some tweaking may be
> required) and win32 (plain easy).
>
> I have no experience or feedback of ASA
> connections through FreeTDS.
>
> It should work as well... I'd be glad to hear
> that it does
>
> Franšois

John J. Lee

"Tomasz" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
[...]
> front-end screens in text mode. Python gives me a good fealling for that it
> seams it is what I am looking for. I am bit afreraid for stability of Python
> and for speed relaibility (it is just an interpreter only).

[...]

Pythons, though bulky, are apparently quite fast *enough* to swallow
large mammals in one piece, so I don't blame you for being afraid
<wink>.

John

python CGI,sybase and environ variables eight02645999@yahoo.com Python 2 11-02-2005 03:46 PM
Sybase Python WinXP len Python 3 09-30-2005 10:27 PM
connecting to Sybase/MsSQL from python John Fabiani Python 3 02-13-2005 06:15 PM
Python and Sybase David Rysdam Python 18 09-27-2004 04:41 AM
python sybase errors Josh Close Python 1 07-30-2004 07:57 PM

Advertisments