Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > windows/python compatability

windows/python compatability

kluge

i'm a newbie to python. i'm learning to program and wanted to know how
to tell which version of windows my finished python program will work
on. thank you.

Peter Hansen

kluge wrote:

> i'm a newbie to python. i'm learning to program and wanted to know how
> to tell which version of windows my finished python program will work
> on. thank you.

That will depend somewhat on what features it uses... but for the
most part *any* currently available version of Windows will run
it just fine, as well as probably any version of Windows 98 since
the second edition was released, and possibly even the first one.

The only real requirement is that Python will have to be installed
on whatever machine tries to run it. If that's a problem, you
can also investigate "py2exe" and use it plus a nice free installer
program (like InnoSetup) to build an installer that anyone could
use to install your program, without having to deal with a Python
download and such.

-Peter

John

kluge wrote:
> i'm a newbie to python. i'm learning to program and wanted to know how
> to tell which version of windows my finished python program will work
> on. thank you.

It should work an any 32 bit Windows (Windows 95 onwards) assuming you
are not using any libraries specific to later versions (very unlikely
since you are a newbie ). It probably will work on most other
platforms (Unix, Linux etc) as well if you want it to. Good Luck.

DilbertFan

With Py2Exe, though, I wouldn't recommend using mxDateTime package in the
Python program itself.
A little tricky to get py2exe to actually create the executable with this
package.

"Peter Hansen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> kluge wrote:
>
> > i'm a newbie to python. i'm learning to program and wanted to know how
> > to tell which version of windows my finished python program will work
> > on. thank you.

> That will depend somewhat on what features it uses... but for the
> most part *any* currently available version of Windows will run
> it just fine, as well as probably any version of Windows 98 since
> the second edition was released, and possibly even the first one.
>
> The only real requirement is that Python will have to be installed
> on whatever machine tries to run it. If that's a problem, you
> can also investigate "py2exe" and use it plus a nice free installer
> program (like InnoSetup) to build an installer that anyone could
> use to install your program, without having to deal with a Python
> download and such.
>
> -Peter

Frithiof Andreas Jensen

"kluge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> i'm a newbie to python. i'm learning to program and wanted to know how
> to tell which version of windows my finished python program will work

There is some system information in the "os" module.

i.e. os.environ contains what is there and os.getenv() reads a single value.

os.getenv('OS') f.ex. gets the name of the operating system; my box says
'Windows_NT' although it is really Win2k.

If you stick to using Python functions *only* for everything
"system-related" such as manipulating file paths (os.path may help), time
e.t.c. then your program will probably run on anything Python runs on.