Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > CATos or IOS for sup.720

CATos or IOS for sup.720

NNTP

we are getting a 6509 with sup.720. I am just wonderig if we should
load CatOS on it or go with IOS.

The switch is going to be housing some 20 vlans (IP only) and not do
much of anything else (no BGP, OSPF, IPX or anything) besides acting
as a big L3 switch.

I've worked on an old cat4006 running catos5.5 and I found it kind of
limited with regards to access-list functionality.

anyone? Thanks,

mh

I believe it ony runs IOS ( 12.2(17a)SXA )

rowl

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (mh) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> I believe it ony runs IOS ( 12.2(17a)SXA )

The switch could boot in CatOS, with only MSFC running IOS, if I
remember - this is hybrid mode..
I dunno about the latest supervisor module..

Rgrds
Rahul Sawarkar

Chris Thomas

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I believe it ony runs IOS ( 12.2(17a)SXA )

When the 720 was first released, the CatOS level necessary wasn't
ready, so only IOS was available. It can now run either. The two
are fairly close now in feature parity, but there are still a couple
of things that are supported in only one or the other. Some months
ago, the 6500 project manager told us that they'd reached the point
of shipping more 6500s with IOS than with CatOS. IOS is clearly the
future direction.

If you have CatOS on other switches and you're familiar with it, it's
still a reasonable option. If you know IOS, or are agnostic, order
the new 720 with IOS installed. It makes the converison pretty
painless. The MSFC part of your CatOS config transfers as is, and
all you have to do is convert the port definitions. That was what I
did. Note the definitions are completely contained on the Sup, so
you can convert a 6500 between a Sup II with CatOS and a Sup720 with
IOS just by swapping Sups. That allows one to work on the IOS
conversion, and then pop the Sup II back in at the end of test time.

/Chris

Step-by-step EtherChannel between CatOS and IOS? Chris Cisco 4 01-19-2007 07:19 PM
catOS or IOS 4506 tony Cisco 5 08-23-2006 02:29 AM
CatOS to IOS? Calvin.Lai@shaw.ca Cisco 5 10-10-2005 09:35 PM
CatOS to IOS command translation Martin Roy Cisco 2 05-10-2004 04:55 PM
Changing from CatOS to IOS on 6509 (SUP)? Thomas Novin Cisco 6 11-14-2003 10:55 AM

Advertisments