Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Re: Cisco multicast filtering, adding VLAN tag

Re: Cisco multicast filtering, adding VLAN tag

v8rulezmore

Hi!

I want to do the following.

I have a Tandberg ASI->Ethernet (IP multicast) encoder.

The Tandberg encoder recieves different TV-programs from
satelite-dish, each TV-program has it own Video/Audio PID's.
Each TV program with it's Video/Audio PID's is encoded to it's own I
multicast streams.

The Tandberg encoder can unfortunally NOT put a 802.1q VLAN tag to eac
multicast stream so I need a L3-switch to do the job.

I want the Cisco to recieve all these IP-multicast streams and filte
the IP-multicast streams to different VLAN's and tag the packets s
additional VLAN filtering is possible further down the network (thi
VLAN filtering is NOT gonna be made be any Cisco equipment).

For example:
From Dish____From Tandberg decoder____From Cisco L3 switch
TV1__________226.0.0.1:8000___________226.0.0.1:80 00 VLAN1
TV2__________226.0.0.2:8000___________226.0.0.2:80 00 VLAN2
TV3__________226.0.0.3:8000___________226.0.0.3:80 00 VLAN3
TV4__________226.0.0.4:8000___________226.0.0.4:80 00 VLAN4
TV5__________226.0.0.5:8000___________226.0.0.5:80 00 VLAN5
TV6__________226.0.0.6:8000___________226.0.0.6:80 00 VLAN6
TV7__________226.0.0.7:8000___________226.0.0.7:80 00 VLAN7
TV8__________226.0.0.8:8000___________226.0.0.8:80 00 VLAN8
TV9__________226.0.0.9:8000___________226.0.0.9:80 00 VLAN9

The Tandberg has two 100Mbps interfaces for output.
Each IP-multicast stream is approx 8Mbps.

The Cisco shall not shape or prioritize any of the streams, it shal
only forward each IP-multicast stream with constant delay to minimiz
jitter.

The network chain:

[Dish]->-(asi streams)-->[Tandberg IP-multicast encoder]->-(i
mulitcast streams)-->[Cisco L3 switch]->-(ip mulitcast streams wit
individual VLAN tags)-->[VLAN filtering Eq.]------------>>>

So my question is, what Cisco L3 switch do I need and how do
configure it

-
v8rulezmor

mh

You might be able to do this with multicast multilayer switching and
policy based routing. You need to be able to configure sub-interfaces
on the outgoing interface
and then inspect the multicast address and using policy based routing
direct it to the correct sub-interface where hopefully the VLAN tag
will be applied.

Geert

Interesting Problem....
Try this:

- Put the TV encoder in an unimportant VLAN say VLAN99
- Create the different VLANs on the switch, put a different ip adress on
the different vlans (ip adress of switch) and enable multicast routing
- Then STATICALLY join the proper groups in the proper VLANs

This will forward the proper stream to the proper vlan.

- Then create a tagged 802.1q trunk link which supports all these vlans
-> the appropriate packets will be automatically tagged !

Example:

Fa0/1 and Fa0/2 are the two 100Mb ports of the encoder

int Fa0/1
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 99
speed 100
duplex full

int Fa0/2
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 99
speed 100
duplex full

int vlan 99
ip address <whatever>
ip pim dense-mode <enable multicast routing>

int vlan 1
ip address <whatever>
ip pim dense-mode
ip igmp join 226.0.0.1

int vlan 2
ip address <whatever>
ip pim dense-mode
ip igmp join 226.0.0.2
int vlan 3
ip address <whatever>
ip pim dense-mode
ip igmp join 226.0.0.3

int Gi0/0
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk encapsulation 802.1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-9

A L3-enabled Catalyst 3550 should do this perfectly !

Regards,
Geert

Multicast UDP deamon and VLAN interfaces pietro.cerutti@gmail.com C Programming 7 12-01-2006 05:21 PM
Multicast inside VLAN Matt Cisco 3 07-22-2005 05:05 PM
To vlan tag or not to tag? budyerr Cisco 1 07-08-2004 03:45 AM
Re: Cisco multicast filtering, adding VLAN tag v8rulezmore Cisco 0 04-30-2004 10:46 AM

Advertisments