Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Enthought Python + Cygwin

Enthought Python + Cygwin

RMJ

After installing Enthought's python and typing 'python' from within cygwin
the program hangs with no output. I do not remember this being the case
with earlier versions of Enthought python. Is this version not compatible
with cygwin? Or, is there some configuration file that needs changing? It
does run successfully with 'python somecode.py' -but without printing out
intermediate results.

Thanks!

-Roger Jones

Jason Tishler

Roger,

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 10:32:14AM -0700, RMJ wrote:
> After installing Enthought's python and typing 'python' from within
> cygwin the program hangs with no output. I do not remember this being
> the case with earlier versions of Enthought python. Is this version
> not compatible with cygwin? Or, is there some configuration file that
> needs changing? It does run successfully with 'python somecode.py'
> -but without printing out intermediate results.

There are some known "tty" issues when running native Win32 programs
under Cygwin. They typical manifest themselves under rxvt and (IIRC)
when CYGWIN=tty. Try using bash (instead of rxvt) and CYGWIN=notty.

BTW, Cygwin Python does not have any of these issues. If you don't need
any Win32 Python features, then you may want to use this version
instead.

Jason

Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

RMJ

Jason,

Adding a line Set CYGWIN="notty" in the Cygwin-Tcsh.bat file now enables me
to run Enthought python. Thank you for your help! I like this version
because it has the Scipy packages, etc pre-installed.

-Roger Jones

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 05:40:49PM -0700, RMJ wrote:
> Adding a line Set CYGWIN="notty" in the Cygwin-Tcsh.bat file now
> enables me to run Enthought python. Thank you for your help!

You are quite welcome.

> I like this version because it has the Scipy packages, etc
> pre-installed.

No problem. I mentioned Cygwin Python just in case CYGWIN=notty didn't
work.

Jason

Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

How to generate execute file that include enthought.traits.api ,enthought.traits.ui.api ? ray Python 1 06-04-2010 03:49 PM
Re: EPD (Enthought Python Distribution) 4.0.300 Beta 3 available Christopher Brewster Python 0 09-27-2008 02:24 PM
Enthought python - Traits Ash Python 2 10-13-2006 05:37 PM
Question about Enthought python distribution Oh Kyu Yoon Python 1 04-04-2005 03:35 PM
ANN: Python/Scientific Job openings at Enthought eric jones Python 0 08-16-2004 05:42 PM

Advertisments