Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: python with Java API

Re: python with Java API

ellisjb@my-deja.com

I would drop the wxPython idea and go with Swing, either with straight
Java or Jython. Doesn't sound like you have a compelling reason to add
the extra complication of another set of dependencies; Swing is a quite
capable toolkit (and far better documented than wxPython).

-Jonathan

Brendan J Simon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Java application from a company. They also provide an API

in
> C++ (MSW platforms only) and Java (for all platforms) for developers
> that want to create their own front end. I want to use wxPython to
> create a decent Unix opensource frontend.
>
> Is it possible to Interface python to a java application easily ???
>
> Assuming yes to above, would something like Jython or SWIG or some

other
> tool be required.
>
> Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Brendan Simon.

Brendan J Simon

I know very little about Java at this stage and I know basically nothing
about Swing. I'm searching the web to find more information. In the
meantime I was wondering what the pros and cons of using Swing as
apposed to wxPython as a GUI. My experience with wxPython is positive.
I like the way it is implemented and the GUI widgets seem very good
and have a native OS look and feel.

Many thanks,
Brendan Simon.

> I would drop the wxPython idea and go with Swing, either with straight
> Java or Jython. Doesn't sound like you have a compelling reason to add
> the extra complication of another set of dependencies; Swing is a quite
> capable toolkit (and far better documented than wxPython).
>
> -Jonathan
>
> Brendan J Simon wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have a Java application from a company. They also provide an API

> in
>
>>C++ (MSW platforms only) and Java (for all platforms) for developers
>>that want to create their own front end. I want to use wxPython to
>>create a decent Unix opensource frontend.
>>
>>Is it possible to Interface python to a java application easily ???
>>
>>Assuming yes to above, would something like Jython or SWIG or some

> other
>
>>tool be required.
>>
>>Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Brendan Simon.

Steve Menard

Brendan J Simon wrote:
> I know very little about Java at this stage and I know basically nothing
> about Swing. I'm searching the web to find more information. In the
> meantime I was wondering what the pros and cons of using Swing as
> apposed to wxPython as a GUI. My experience with wxPython is positive.
> I like the way it is implemented and the GUI widgets seem very good and
> have a native OS look and feel.
>
> Many thanks,
> Brendan Simon.
>

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I would drop the wxPython idea and go with Swing, either with straight
>> Java or Jython. Doesn't sound like you have a compelling reason to add
>> the extra complication of another set of dependencies; Swing is a quite
>> capable toolkit (and far better documented than wxPython).
>>
>> -Jonathan
>>
>> Brendan J Simon wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a Java application from a company. They also provide an API

>> in
>>
>>> C++ (MSW platforms only) and Java (for all platforms) for developers
>>> that want to create their own front end. I want to use wxPython to
>>> create a decent Unix opensource frontend.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to Interface python to a java application easily ???
>>>
>>> Assuming yes to above, would something like Jython or SWIG or some

>> other
>>
>>> tool be required.
>>>
>>> Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Brendan Simon.

If I can interject my 2 cents here ...

I have done extensive work with Swing. I havealso dabbled with wxPtyhon
.... and to me, there is no competition. Swing just seems more logical
(to me). There is also a TON of resource on the web to help you along.

I you want absolute adherence to native look and feel, you can also look
at SWT ( www.eclipse.org ). It is an alternative to SWING that is
getting quite popular. Though not as powerful as SWING, it is more
lightweight and thus faster.

Lastly, if you want most of the power of python, and none of the
headache of interfacing python to Java, take a look at groovy (
http://groovy.codehaus.org/ ).

Have fun,

Steve