Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Citing Python

Citing Python

Andrew Wilkinson

Hi,

Has anyone out there cited Python in a paper, if so how did you do it? Is
there a published paper by Guido van Rossum (or someone similarly important
to the project) that is suitable for this?

Currently I'm just citing http://www.python.org, but I'm not too happy with
that.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew Wilkinson

David Eppstein

In article <ca4nbn$s6a$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Andrew Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Has anyone out there cited Python in a paper, if so how did you do it? Is
> there a published paper by Guido van Rossum (or someone similarly important
> to the project) that is suitable for this?
>
> Currently I'm just citing http://www.python.org, but I'm not too happy with
> that.

I've done it a couple times. When I do, I just cite
G. van Rossum et al., Python Language Website, http://www.python.org/.
For more specific ideas within Python it may make sense to cite one of
the PEP's, which I think are just like tech reports.

Brian Gough

Andrew Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Has anyone out there cited Python in a paper, if so how did you do it? Is
> there a published paper by Guido van Rossum (or someone similarly important
> to the project) that is suitable for this?

See Guido van Rossum's publication list:
http://www.python.org/~guido/Publications.html

--
Brian Gough

Network Theory Ltd,
Publishing the Python Manuals --- http://www.network-theory.co.uk/

Terry Reedy

"Andrew Wilkinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ca4nbn$s6a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone out there cited Python in a paper, if so how did you do it? Is
> there a published paper by Guido van Rossum (or someone similarly

important
> to the project) that is suitable for this?
>
> Currently I'm just citing http://www.python.org, but I'm not too happy

with
> that.

I would cite the reference manual which defines the language, and others
have posted that they have done so. I believe that this is a pretty
standard way to cite a language. The exact format depends where your paper
is published.

Terry J. Reedy