Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > ideas Python / Network Admin

ideas Python / Network Admin

Norm

I was wondering if you would give me some examples (not code, but general
ideas) of what you are using Python for in Network Administration / Security
?

Thanks
Norm

ChrisH

Most of my python admin scripts focus around Windows.

Typically they involve
- group management
- searching the domain for different files or registry entries
- modifying said files or registry entries

In article <ca2b1i$o0e$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I was wondering if you would give me some examples (not code, but general
> ideas) of what you are using Python for in Network Administration / Security
> ?
>
> Thanks
> Norm

Marco Bartel

Norm wrote:
> I was wondering if you would give me some examples (not code, but general
> ideas) of what you are using Python for in Network Administration / Security
> ?
>
> Thanks
> Norm

Hello Norm,

we use python in many places of our company, here only a few examples:

production monitoring ( counting pieces, runtimes of machines,
collecting temperature and humidity informations, general automation
stuff, printing inline barcodes.... )

userinterfaces for different database applications

monitoring of our harddisks in the servers

monitoring of hard/software raid-devices in the servers

many scripts for our mailscanners

the mailproxies are written in python

our knowledge-database / content-management-system is written in python

the flextime of the employees are managed by python programms including
the hardware stuff (badge readers).

user-management-software ( creating unix,ldap,nis,mail and some specific
account for new user, editing them...)

and of course a lot of helping scripts for the daily work.

I think there is a lot of power hidden in this little interpreter, and
there is more possible, as we are currently using.

CU
Marco