Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > left-quote ( ` ) on International keyboards [Prothon]

left-quote ( ` ) on International keyboards [Prothon]

Miki Tebeka

Hello Mark,

> Can users with international keyboards tell me if they have problems typing
> the left-quote ( ` ) character?

No problem with Hebrew.

Bye.
Miki Tebeka <(E-Mail Removed)>
The only difference between children and adults is the price of the toys.

Norbert Klamann

"Mark Hahn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Tuure Laurinolli wrote:
> > Mark Hahn wrote:
> >

> >> What does deadkey mean?
> >>

> > The same as 'combined key' above. It doesn't immediately produce
> > output, instead you can press some other key after it, ` + a = à, and
> > you can produce the literal with ` + space.

> Thanks. I can see where the name comes from.
>
> I never thought of it being used as an accent mark. I always thought of it
> as a crummy left-quote. That explains why it is always drawn so high.
>
> We are thinking of using it as a marker for "symbols" in Prothon. They are
> like strings but can only be legal variable labels: `var, `init_, `x,
> `account_balance, etc. I think in our application they look good and won't
> be mistaken for quotes since they don't come in pairs. They are readable
> and distinquishable in this context. Also, symbols won't be used that
> frequently so typing won't be too much of a pain.

Be aware of the dangers of bad typesetting ! I once had a hard time to
figure out unix commands where the ` was set as a ' in a commercial
book about unix!

All the best !
Norbert

Tuure Laurinolli

Mark Hahn wrote:

> We aren't using any of the oddball symbols any more, so $ is free. I'm a
> little wary of proposing using it though. The last time I proposed using $
> Prothon was accused of being Perl

I already said I dislike $ the las time i was tried to be used. The
reason for me is that $ looks just like any other letter whereas ` is
immediately recognizable as a special character.

THe other person who shared my opinion had much better argumentation
than my "it looks wrong", but basically it came down to the same thing.
Just with words such as "baseline" and "sigil":

> Is $ easier to type on foreign keyboards?

I doubt that, probably almost every special character on non-US
keyboards requires two sequential keypresses or a combination. ` is `
followed by space, $ is altgr + 4. Personally I think ` is actually
easier ty type.

Christophe Cavalaria

Mark Hahn wrote:

> Timo Virkkala wrote:
>
>> Mark Hahn wrote:
>>> We are thinking of using it as a marker for "symbols" in Prothon.
>>> They are like strings but can only be legal variable labels: `var,
>>> `init_, `x, `account_balance, etc. I think in our application they
>>> look good and won't be mistaken for quotes since they don't come in
>>> pairs. They are readable and distinquishable in this context.
>>> Also, symbols won't be used that frequently so typing won't be too
>>> much of a pain.

>> Why not use something like $ or something? I'm not familiar with
>> Prothon, so I don't know if $ is already used for something, but it's
>> a character normally used with symbols/placeholders/etc.

> We aren't using any of the oddball symbols any more, so $ is free. I'm a
> little wary of proposing using it though. The last time I proposed using
> $ Prothon was accused of being Perl
>
> I'll put it up for vote on the Prothon mailing list. You can come by and
> vote for it
>
> Is $ easier to type on foreign keyboards?

$ is one of the only thing easy to type in a french keyboard. Thanks god
that we don't need to type too many {} in Python for they are the worst

Of course, I can't speak for other keyboard layouts.

Timo Virkkala

Mark Hahn wrote:
> Is $ easier to type on foreign keyboards?

Well.. It's AltGr+4 on the Finnish keyboard, so not too hard. Easier than
{[]}\, since they are AltGr+7890+ and you can really do them with one hand,
whereas @£$ can be done with two hands.

--
Timo "WT" Virkkala

Timo Virkkala

Timo Virkkala wrote:

> Mark Hahn wrote:
>
>> Is $ easier to type on foreign keyboards?

> Well.. It's AltGr+4 on the Finnish keyboard, so not too hard. Easier
> than {[]}\, since they are AltGr+7890+ and you can really do them with
> one hand, whereas @£$ can be done with two hands.

.... reading that sentence and realizing that it's a bit strange:

It's not really the fact that it's one/two-handed, but with AltGr, I have to
twist my right hand to a strange angle with the one-handed chars. The
two-handed ones are faster to type.

--
Timo "WT" Virkkala

Konstantin Veretennicov

"Mark Hahn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<buLwc.60925$zN5.390@fed1read01>...
> Can users with international keyboards tell me if they have problems typing
> the left-quote ( ` ) character? It isn't used much in Python but we are

Single keystroke for me (Cyrillic/Russian).

-kv