Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > "ip addr dhcp" is not available for my IOS release, who has latest IOS for 2514 and 2509?

"ip addr dhcp" is not available for my IOS release, who has latest IOS for 2514 and 2509?

Ed Kideys, Tech-Train

Hello all,

When all else fails, I turn to usenet. I would like to use my Cisco
2514 router to replace the Linksys BEFX41 Firewall VPN Point Router
which is the border router between my company's LAN and the ISP. In
order to pull this off, I have to setup the 2514 to do NAT and PAT,
which should be quite an exercise.

However, I have not even been able to configure the ethernet1
interface which is connected to the ISP for DHCP. I have been told
that if I have the latest release of IOS, I should be able to enter
"ip addr dhcp". Right now, I don't have this option with this IOS,
only static ips. I need dhcp because the ISP requires it.

I went to the Cisco site, but could not find a public download area
for the latest 2500 series IOS releases. I don't have a service
agreement with Cisco and even if I did, the 2500 series are no longer
supported.

Could someone out there help me out and email a copy of the latest IOS
for 2500 series router that supports setup of dhcp on interfaces? Or
point me to the right place? It sure ain't Cisco.com

Also, I don't think what I am trying to do here is unusual, but I
would be interested in any comments. Thanks

Ed Kideys

News Account

Smartnet is still available...

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...oType=warranty

Don Woodward

"Ed Kideys, Tech-Train" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello all,
>
> When all else fails, I turn to usenet. I would like to use my Cisco
> 2514 router to replace the Linksys BEFX41 Firewall VPN Point Router
> which is the border router between my company's LAN and the ISP. In
> order to pull this off, I have to setup the 2514 to do NAT and PAT,
> which should be quite an exercise.
>
> However, I have not even been able to configure the ethernet1
> interface which is connected to the ISP for DHCP. I have been told
> that if I have the latest release of IOS, I should be able to enter
> "ip addr dhcp". Right now, I don't have this option with this IOS,
> only static ips. I need dhcp because the ISP requires it.
>
> I went to the Cisco site, but could not find a public download area
> for the latest 2500 series IOS releases. I don't have a service
> agreement with Cisco and even if I did, the 2500 series are no longer
> supported.
>
> Could someone out there help me out and email a copy of the latest IOS
> for 2500 series router that supports setup of dhcp on interfaces? Or
> point me to the right place? It sure ain't Cisco.com
>
> Also, I don't think what I am trying to do here is unusual, but I
> would be interested in any comments. Thanks
>
> Ed Kideys
> (E-Mail Removed)

Joop van der Velden

Tech-Train Ed Kideys wrote:

> order to pull this off, I have to setup the 2514 to do NAT and PAT,
> which should be quite an exercise.
>
> However, I have not even been able to configure the ethernet1
> interface which is connected to the ISP for DHCP. I have been told
> that if I have the latest release of IOS, I should be able to enter
> "ip addr dhcp". Right now, I don't have this option with this IOS,
> only static ips. I need dhcp because the ISP requires it.

How much memory (ram and flash) is available in your 2514? You will
probably need 16M flash memory and 10 or even 16M dram.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...os121/121newft
/121t/121t2/dt_dhcpc.htm

--
Joop van der Velden
(E-Mail Removed)

Wence Van der Meersch

Do you already have the IOS image? If not, reply.

Regards,
Wence