Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Improving VPN performance

Improving VPN performance

Frank Toner

Our VPN solution has three remote sites. Two of which are small offices(not
more than 15 users), the third site has over 50 and performance is not what
I would like it to be. Can I adjust just one tunnel to improve their
bandwidth? What commands would I use and where would they go. We are using a
PIX 506 to 1700 series routers with isakmp and IPSec.

Frank Toner

mh

Check out the CPU utilization on the 506's (show cpu usage} during busy hour

Are the PIXs 506's or 506E's ???

================================================== ===========================

Model Cisco PIX 506 Cisco PIX 506E

Processor 200-MHz Intel Pentium MMX 300-MHz Intel Celeron

VPN throughput* 10 Mbps 16 Mbps

Walter Roberson

In article <20Dic.9309$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Frank Toner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Our VPN solution has three remote sites. Two of which are small offices(not
:more than 15 users), the third site has over 50 and performance is not what
:I would like it to be. Can I adjust just one tunnel to improve their
:bandwidth?

I am not clear on what manner of 'adjustment' you are asking about ?

There is no way on any current PIX release to adjust relative bandwidth
allocations.

:What commands would I use and where would they go. We are using a
IX 506 to 1700 series routers with isakmp and IPSec.

You might be able to adjust bandwidths on the 1700, but I seem to
recall the 1700 as not being the most flexible router on the block,
so I'm not sure the 1700 can do that. There are at least 4 different
ways to allocate bandwidth on newer models; it could be that the
1700 supports at least one of the ways.

But, if I could interject a practical note:

In my experience "performance" on an IPSec link is strongly linked
to latency, more so than available bandwidth. We have a 750 mile
VPN connection being carried over gigabit on the short hauls and
OC8 on the long hauls, and users complain about the performance
of the link. We are are nowhere near straining the limits of the
PIX's IPSec encryption bandwidth, and the traffic volume we send
over that link is so little it's probably not even worth accounting,
but the link *is*, under some kinds of tests, frustratingly slow.
When I bring the same remote PIX onto my local lab bench and test
locally, performance using the same tests is quite acceptable.
So clearly it is latency that is killing the performance, and no
manner of bandwidth allocation or getting "faster" PIXes would make
a significant difference in our situation.
--
"WHEN QUINED, YIELDS A TORTOISE'S LOVE-SONG"
WHEN QUINED, YIELDS A TORTOISE'S LOVE-SONG. (GEB)

Joce

> Model Cisco PIX 506 Cisco PIX 506E
>
> Processor 200-MHz Intel Pentium MMX 300-MHz Intel Celeron
>
> VPN throughput* 10 Mbps 16 Mbps

If he has a CPU problem it would be on the 1721, not on the PIX.

Are you using 1721 with VPN accelerator?

jason@nospam.com

I had the same problem with my 1760's until I put the VPN accelerator card
in.