Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > .py to binary

.py to binary

Marco Terzuoli

Hi,
I would like to convert a .py file into a stand-alone executable, so that
anyone can run it without having to install the python interpreter. I know
there is a py2exe program for Windows, but I would like to do the same for
Linux. Is it possibile or Linux only allow to use python scripts?
Thanks for helping,
Marco

Leif K-Brooks

Marco Terzuoli wrote:
> I would like to convert a .py file into a stand-alone executable, so that
> anyone can run it without having to install the python interpreter. I know
> there is a py2exe program for Windows, but I would like to do the same for
> Linux. Is it possibile or Linux only allow to use python scripts?

A large portion of RPM code is written in Python, so any RPM distro (Red
Hat, SuSE, Mandrake...) should have Python installed by default. I think
Debian might too, so you shouldn't worry about making an installer.

lukas

Marco Terzuoli <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<kfwqc.8720$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi,
> I would like to convert a .py file into a stand-alone executable, so that
> anyone can run it without having to install the python interpreter. I know
> there is a py2exe program for Windows, but I would like to do the same for
> Linux. Is it possibile or Linux only allow to use python scripts?
> Thanks for helping,
> Marco

Use this software:
http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/