Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > RIP question (Im doing my ccna)

RIP question (Im doing my ccna)

Martin

Say that i have 3 routers all connected via direct serial links, running
RIP (version 1). Each of the serial interfaces can be pinged remotely
and locally. None of the ethernet interfaces can be pinged remotely, but
can be locally. Does this mean that rip is not advertising the networks
properly?

I will probably have some questions about ospf and eigrp soon.

Thanks in advance
Martin.

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Martin <1@1.1> wrote:

> Say that i have 3 routers all connected via direct serial links, running
> RIP (version 1). Each of the serial interfaces can be pinged remotely
> and locally. None of the ethernet interfaces can be pinged remotely, but
> can be locally. Does this mean that rip is not advertising the networks
> properly?

Sounds like it. If they're using RIPv1, maybe the LANs are all subnets
of the same classful network -- RIPv1 can't deal with non-contiguous
networks like this.

--
Barry Margolin, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Martin

So should I double check the network advertisement statements and clear
the rip routing tables on each router to force each router to re-learn
all networks again and try my connectivity tests again?

Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Martin <1@1.1> wrote:
>

>>Say that i have 3 routers all connected via direct serial links, running
>>RIP (version 1). Each of the serial interfaces can be pinged remotely
>>and locally. None of the ethernet interfaces can be pinged remotely, but
>>can be locally. Does this mean that rip is not advertising the networks
>>properly?

> Sounds like it. If they're using RIPv1, maybe the LANs are all subnets
> of the same classful network -- RIPv1 can't deal with non-contiguous
> networks like this.

Ivan Ostres

In article <40891c58$(E-Mail Removed)>, 1@1.1 says...
> So should I double check the network advertisement statements and clear
> the rip routing tables on each router to force each router to re-learn
> all networks again and try my connectivity tests again?

If you have a non-contigouos networks with RIP1, re-learning will not
help. Can you please, specify your addressing here?

--
Ivan

Cisco4me2001

Ivan Ostres <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<c6b7d8$aasrv$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> In article <40891c58$(E-Mail Removed)>, 1@1.1 says...
> > So should I double check the network advertisement statements and clear
> > the rip routing tables on each router to force each router to re-learn
> > all networks again and try my connectivity tests again?
> >

> If you have a non-contigouos networks with RIP1, re-learning will not
> help. Can you please, specify your addressing here?

Please check your RUNNING configuration and make sure that you add your
Ethernet prot's network. So each router you will have all connected
networks addresses under --router rip-- line, in your RUNNING configuration.
I think this will help you to solve your problem.

Hansang Bae

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, 1@1.1 says...
> Say that i have 3 routers all connected via direct serial links, running
> RIP (version 1). Each of the serial interfaces can be pinged remotely
> and locally. None of the ethernet interfaces can be pinged remotely, but
> can be locally. Does this mean that rip is not advertising the networks
> properly?
>
> I will probably have some questions about ospf and eigrp soon.

This is better suited for alt.certification.cisco.

Common RIP mistakes

1) Using VLSM with RIPv1.
2) Not enabling RIP on the Ethernet interfaces (missing 'network ....'
statement)
3) Forgetting about split horizon on various serial interfaces.
4) ACL in place that prevents routing updates.

--

hsb

Martin

I wish i could remember as the question is based on an exam that i have
taken recently. But the advice will definately help me next time.

Thanks to all who answered.
Martin.

Ivan Ostres wrote:
> In article <40891c58$(E-Mail Removed)>, 1@1.1 says...
>
>>So should I double check the network advertisement statements and clear
>>the rip routing tables on each router to force each router to re-learn
>>all networks again and try my connectivity tests again?
>>

> If you have a non-contigouos networks with RIP1, re-learning will not
> help. Can you please, specify your addressing here?

Martin

Thanks for the info.

Regards
Martin.

Hansang Bae wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, 1@1.1 says...
>
>>Say that i have 3 routers all connected via direct serial links, running
>>RIP (version 1). Each of the serial interfaces can be pinged remotely
>>and locally. None of the ethernet interfaces can be pinged remotely, but
>>can be locally. Does this mean that rip is not advertising the networks
>>properly?
>>
>>I will probably have some questions about ospf and eigrp soon.

> This is better suited for alt.certification.cisco.
>
> Common RIP mistakes
>
> 1) Using VLSM with RIPv1.
> 2) Not enabling RIP on the Ethernet interfaces (missing 'network ....'
> statement)
> 3) Forgetting about split horizon on various serial interfaces.
> 4) ACL in place that prevents routing updates.

some question about EIGRP OSPF BGP RIP 2 viper_gts General Computer Support 0 09-24-2010 06:04 AM
screen rip question quantia The Lounge 0 07-17-2009 02:25 AM
Easy RIP Question? Darth Tyrannus Cisco 0 06-04-2005 04:11 AM
RIP Question Cronion Cisco 2 10-25-2004 10:30 AM
converting accuset 1200 HW rip to software rip Wendell Computer Support 0 06-05-2004 07:32 PM

Advertisments