Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python+SQL

Python+SQL

Chris Stiles

What are my options for using Python and SQL - specifically mysql ? So far
I've found pysqldb and python-mysql on sourceforge, but the official
references don't seem to include anything.

Is there an API that supports the 'table row expressed/mapped to object'
paradigm ?

--
regards, chris

Jon Franz

The official references don't include anything since the modules are just
implementations of the DBAPI standard - getting to know that standard will
help you immensely.

http://www.python.org/sigs/db-sig/status.html

Alternately, try using PDO (Python Database Objects). You will still need a
DBAPI complaint module for PDO to work correctly, but it is designed to be
easy to use and provides some nice features like column-access-by-name,
while still being lightweight and very fast. Oh, and its free.

http://pdo.neurokode.com

~Jon Franz
NeuroKode Labs, LLC

> What are my options for using Python and SQL - specifically mysql ? So far
> I've found pysqldb and python-mysql on sourceforge, but the official
> references don't seem to include anything.
>
> Is there an API that supports the 'table row expressed/mapped to object'
> paradigm ?
>
> --
> regards, chris

Lennaert Goris

Op Wed, 12 May 2004 17:02:28 +0100, schreef Chris Stiles:

> What are my options for using Python and SQL - specifically mysql ? So far
> I've found pysqldb and python-mysql on sourceforge, but the official
> references don't seem to include anything.
>
> Is there an API that supports the 'table row expressed/mapped to object'
> paradigm ?

if i remember correctly python has an sql api. A google on python sql api
gave me the following two adresses.

http://www.amk.ca/python/writing/DB-API.html

http://www.wellho.net/forum/Programm...thon-and-Ruby/
Python-and-SQL-the-DB-API-and-Gadfly.html

First adres seems to be the most promissing.

hope I was of some help.

Brian Gough

Chris Stiles <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> What are my options for using Python and SQL - specifically mysql ? So far
> I've found pysqldb and python-mysql on sourceforge, but the official
> references don't seem to include anything.

The database SIG has the most official information on the DB-API and
modules which conform to it: http://www.python.org/topics/database/

--
Brian Gough

Network Theory Ltd,
Publishing the Python Manuals --- http://www.network-theory.co.uk/

Chris Stiles

"Jon Franz" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Alternately, try using PDO (Python Database Objects). You will still need a
> DBAPI complaint module for PDO to work correctly, but it is designed to be
> easy to use and provides some nice features like column-access-by-name,
> while still being lightweight and very fast. Oh, and its free.

Thanks, i'll take a look at it.

--
chris

David M. Cook

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Chris Stiles wrote:

> Is there an API that supports the 'table row expressed/mapped to object'
> paradigm ?

SQLObject, MiddleKit, and several others.

Dave Cook

Chris Stiles

"David M. Cook" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Chris Stiles wrote:
>
>> Is there an API that supports the 'table row expressed/mapped to object'
>> paradigm ?

> SQLObject, MiddleKit, and several others.

Thanks Dave, i'll take a look at these also.

--
regards, chris