Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > tcp vulnerability alert - fixed pix image??

tcp vulnerability alert - fixed pix image??

Bill F

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707...p-nonios.shtml

The bulletin lists these fixed pix builds.
6.3.3.132, 6.2.3.109, and 6.1.5.103

Are these only available thru TAC?

Also, I have several bgp customers. Anyone know what Tier 1 providers
standard operating procedure is for doing MD5 auth? I'm peering w/
sprint, mci, att, broadwing

thanks

S. Gione

I'm not qualified in low level TCP but suspect that there is no "fix" in the
newer images.

The vulnerability seems to be in the "basic" area of the protocol. Both
sides (the other of which may not be Cisco) need to "agree" on the terms of
the session. If the Cisco side arbitrarily reduces the size of it's
"window" (unless the size is negotiated), there may be session failure.

Maybe someone more familiar with protocol details can clarify this.

"Bill F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707...p-nonios.shtml
>
> The bulletin lists these fixed pix builds.
> 6.3.3.132, 6.2.3.109, and 6.1.5.103
>
> Are these only available thru TAC?
>
> Also, I have several bgp customers. Anyone know what Tier 1 providers
> standard operating procedure is for doing MD5 auth? I'm peering w/
> sprint, mci, att, broadwing
>
> thanks

Brian Bergin

Bill F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707...p-nonios.shtml
|
|The bulletin lists these fixed pix builds.
| 6.3.3.132, 6.2.3.109, and 6.1.5.103
|
|Are these only available thru TAC?
|
|Also, I have several bgp customers. Anyone know what Tier 1 providers
|standard operating procedure is for doing MD5 auth? I'm peering w/
|sprint, mci, att, broadwing
|
|thanks

Those builds are available via TAC. I got mine in 22 minutes this AM. Went on
like a charm.

Thanks...
Brian Bergin

I can be reached via e-mail at
cisco_dot_news_at_comcept_dot_net.

Please post replies to the group so all may benefit.

chad

> Also, I have several bgp customers. Anyone know what Tier 1 providers
> standard operating procedure is for doing MD5 auth? I'm peering w/
> sprint, mci, att, broadwing
>
> thanks

All you have to do is create a clear text password and have an engineer from
your ISP on the phone with you while you make the change to md5. You give
your password to him and you both enter the password at the same time. I'ts
not necessary, but I would recommend you admin your BGP session down before
you enter the password. When you both enter your passwords, the BGP session
should do a hard reset automatically, but you could have some problems where
you have to do a hard shut on it a few times which could possibly trigger a
dampening penalty. It's totally up to you.
It's really simple to do:

router(config-router)#neighbor (neighbor IP) password (clear text password)
If you do a "?" after the "password" you will get a choice of 0-7
authentication. Don't even enter anything there.

Check here to make sure you have the correct IOS:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/prod...6a008021bc62.s
html

US-CERT Alert: Active Exploitation of a Vulnerability in Microsoft Word Au79 Computer Support 2 06-01-2006 09:55 PM
TCP Vulnerability S. Gione Cisco 10 04-25-2004 05:18 PM
TCP vulnerability fixes? Brian Bergin Cisco 0 04-21-2004 09:02 PM
SNMP Issues in Cisco Routers; Vulnerability Issues in TCP =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?= MCSE 0 04-21-2004 03:00 PM
ALERT: Virus Scam Alert! Toronto Garage Door Company Computer Support 1 11-18-2003 04:16 PM

Advertisments