Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > win32com and Excel

win32com and Excel

Bram Stolk

Hi there,

I am accessing Excel's functionality via COM, by using the
win32com extention.

This works somewhat:
If I run it from the 'IDLE' editor, I get frequent hangs or errors.
Sometimes the app hangs, and Excel then waits indefinately for a COM
operation completion.
Sometimes, I get errors about properties not being writable (which
realy are writable).
I then need to kill excel en python stuff, and try again. Sometimes
it works, sometimes I get in a corrupt state.
Running without the IDLE environment, I get much better results.

After checking the testMSOfficeEvents.py file, I deciced to add a
OnQuit() to my event handler. Strangely enough, OnQuit events are only
sent for MS-Word, and not MS-Excel.

Is this an ommission in win32com, or in MS Excel itself? I cant find a
mention of OnQuit in the Visual Basic script help files.

I would like to discern between the closing of a workbook, and the
closing of the entire excel app.

Thx,

Bram Stolk

Bram Stolk, VR Engineer.
SARA Academic Computing Services Amsterdam, PO Box 94613, 1090 GP AMSTERDAM
email: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Phone +31-20-5923059 Fax +31-20-6683167

"Software is math. Math is not patentable."
OR
"Software is literature. Literature is not patentable." -- slashdot comment

Win32com and Excel Mike P Python 2 01-10-2008 10:04 AM
Win32com, and Excel issues. Ant Python 3 04-18-2007 07:03 PM
Excel ShapeRange problem with win32com koia Python 1 03-16-2006 01:45 AM
Controlling Excel with win32com Al Christians Python 0 11-17-2005 07:09 AM
Use macros in Excel via win32com chris Python 5 12-20-2004 01:48 PM

Advertisments