Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Distutils help needed!

Distutils help needed!

John Roth

I'm trying to put together a distribution for Python
FIT 0.4a1 (the first version I'm actually distributing),
and distutils is giving me a slight problem. It seems
to be building OK and both the manifest file and the
..zip file have all the right directories and contents.
The install seems to work and it's putting the fit
directory in the right place, but the result is missing
directories that don't contain at least one Python module.
(and one directory that does contain a Python
module, but it doesn't contain a __init__.py -
the module is a script, not something to import.)

This is on Windows. Here's the setup.py file:

# Distutils setup file.

from distutils.core import setup

setup(name="PyFIT",
version="0.4a1",
packages = ["fit", "fit/fat", "fit/tests", "fit/eg", "fit/eg.music"],
# XXX eg.net when update
author = "Ward Cunningham",
author_email = "(E-Mail Removed)",
maintainer = "John Roth",
maintainer_email = "(E-Mail Removed)",
url = "fit.c2.com",
description = "Python language port of FIT",
long_description =
""" FIT is an acceptance test package originally written in Java
by Ward Cunningham and ported to Python by Simon Michael. This
version brings the code up to the latest Java version on
fit.c2.com, and also includes changes for and interfaces to
Object Mentor's Fitnesse package
""",
)

and here's the MANIFEST.in file:

global-include *.htm *.html *.gif *.jpg *.txt

Another question. Ward is the author of the original
Java version of FIT; should I be refering to him as
the author, Simon Michael (who did the original Python
port), or myself, who has done a lot of work trying to
make it a useful Python facility? What's the general
tradition here?

John Roth

I got a response by e-mail that suggested I look at
either scripts or data_files. Somehow when I read
the doc, data_files went right by without making
an impression! I'll try that next. Scripts, on the
other hand, produced an error and I had to remove
it for the install to work at all.

And I'm now puzzled about why manifest.in
even exists. If you have to name every file in
the setup script, it seems awfully redundant.

BTW - responses in e-mail will not always reach
me. Everything, and I mean everything, from newsgroups
goes directly to my trash folder, does not pass go,
does not get whitelisted or anything else. If I throw
out the trash without looking, it isn't there.

John Roth

"John Roth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to put together a distribution for Python
> FIT 0.4a1 (the first version I'm actually distributing),
> and distutils is giving me a slight problem. It seems
> to be building OK and both the manifest file and the
> .zip file have all the right directories and contents.
> The install seems to work and it's putting the fit
> directory in the right place, but the result is missing
> directories that don't contain at least one Python module.
> (and one directory that does contain a Python
> module, but it doesn't contain a __init__.py -
> the module is a script, not something to import.)

[snip the rest]