Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Tangle of Extension Rebuilds?

Tangle of Extension Rebuilds?

Paul VanHouten

I am attempting to build the bsddb3-4.2.4 extension for incorporating
the Berkeley Db (4.2.52) into Python on a Win XP platform. I used
VC++.Net to build the Berkeley Db dll/lib/exe files. I don't have
VC++ 6 nor can you but it now. The bsddb3-4.2.4 build failed
complaining that Python was built with VC++ 6. I assume I can rebuild
Python with VC++.Net but if I do will other existing extensions cease
to work and require rebuilding? Yikes! Suggestions?

Roger Binns

Paul VanHouten wrote:
> I don't have
> VC++ 6 nor can you but it now.

You can get a downgrade for $20.

> The bsddb3-4.2.4 build failed
> complaining that Python was built with VC++ 6. I assume I can rebuild
> Python with VC++.Net but if I do will other existing extensions cease
> to work and require rebuilding? Yikes! Suggestions?

Use MinGW. It is compatible with VC6. Ensure that gcc etc are on
your path, and then use this to compile a package:

python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32 bdist_wininst

It will produce a .exe that you run to install the package.

Roger

How to convert a .txt file extension to a .xls file extension? Steve ASP .Net 3 08-25-2006 05:43 PM
tangle aarklon@gmail.com C Programming 2 04-17-2006 08:14 PM
New extension? saw extension .emf is it safe to open Jer Computer Support 5 10-08-2005 04:43 PM
C extension=> pow(2,1) gives DIFFERENT answers in different parts of C extension!?!?! Any ideas why? Christian Seberino Python 3 02-05-2004 04:36 AM
Unload extension modules when python22.dll unloads... [using C extension interpreter] Anand Python 3 11-08-2003 05:50 AM

Advertisments