Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Is classless worth consideration

Is classless worth consideration

Terry Reedy

"has" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> s " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> > Quoting from a previous post quoting by someone else:
> > > Modules are an encapsulation mechanism, just like class instances, so
> > > I'd say the large and obvious overlap counts as unnecessary

> > I don't see this. 'Class instance' is an abstract concept, not a
> > particular object.

> Please forgive my linguistic sloppies. How about if I say 'an object
> of type "instance"'; does that sound clearer?

In a way, yes. In the old class/instance system, all user-defined classes
were instances of type 'class' and all instances of user-defined classes
were instances (objects) of type 'instance'. So that is what you appear to
be referring to whether you mean to or not. When Python get a
code-breaking overhaul, this now redundant system will be dropped.

Python is currently a language for manipulating typed objects. Changing it
to a languge for manipulating prototyped objects, with types eliminated,
would be a major change. But I currently believe it is possible to do
prototyping within the current system. Several years ago, I posted
(another group, maybe cross-posted here) a prototype Self class (based on
second-hand descriptions of Self, and therefore possibly inadequate) for
doing just that. But I have not yet had reason to go any further with it.

So, for me, the way for someone to promote prototyping in Python, and
serious discussion thereof, would be to write a similar class and then a
neat application that exploits that class.

> I'm sorry if this sounds personal;

I am not interested in pseudopersonal 'advice' from someone who knows me
not. I
prefer reading and discussing various Python topics.

Terry J. Reedy

has

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Hung Jung Lu) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...

> When one has not even tried, and starts to make criticisms like
> "unification means elimination, I will have to use my shoes to store
> my soup", it brings nothing but regrets.

ROTFLMAO! I shall frame and mount this line at once!

has (green with envy...

Hung Jung Lu

(E-Mail Removed) (has) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Hung Jung Lu) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
>
> > When one has not even tried, and starts to make criticisms like
> > "unification means elimination, I will have to use my shoes to store
> > my soup", it brings nothing but regrets.

> ROTFLMAO! I shall frame and mount this line at once!

Before things get out of hand and be misunderstood again, I need to
make a clarification. I don't make fun at analogies. In fact, anyone
that comes up with analogies deserves commendation. Analogies are
factorization of different experiences, no different from code
factorization that we do in programming.

I was pointing out that unification does not mean elimination. In the
case example, pockets, shoes, food containers are all still there,
even after unification. You still put your soup in your food
container.

If people want to know about prototype-based, Self is probably a good
place to start.

http://research.sun.com/self/language.html

regards,

Hung Jung

Erik Max Francis

Hung Jung Lu wrote:

> If people want to know about prototype-based, Self is probably a good
> place to start.
>
> http://research.sun.com/self/language.html

I'd recommend checking out Io:

http://www.iolanguage.com/

--
__ Erik Max Francis && (E-Mail Removed) && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/ \ San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM erikmaxfrancis

"no ip classless" and "ip cef" Paweł Damian Cisco 8 05-25-2009 03:29 PM
IP CLASSLESS not working Max Cisco 13 05-09-2008 09:03 AM
ip classless and auto-summary jh3ang Cisco 3 08-05-2006 03:10 PM
Question about Redistributing Between Classful and Classless Protocols ws00sw@gmail.com Cisco 0 06-28-2005 12:51 PM
[Classless] Just to be sure... Yermat Python 0 04-30-2004 02:11 PM

Advertisments