Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > CiscoWorks expiriences

CiscoWorks expiriences

Ivan Ostres

Can someone please write some good/bad expiriences with CiscoWorks in
case of IOS Deployment/configuration management on some live networks.

We are in planning phase and we would like to know what works good,
what's bad etc.

--
Ivan

Pete Mainwaring

Ivan Ostres <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<c62rdr$7fe61$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> Can someone please write some good/bad expiriences with CiscoWorks in
> case of IOS Deployment/configuration management on some live networks.
>
> We are in planning phase and we would like to know what works good,
> what's bad etc.

We use Ciscoworks to help manage our network, which consists of 6509s,
3508s, 7206s, 2924s, 2950s and various other odd bits of Cisco kit. I
have to say I am not a big fan of Ciscoworks. It is very windows
"unfriendly", for example cut-and-paste doesn't work between CW and
other windows applications. That is just one example, but there are
many others.

However, it is useful in some cases. One of the main benefits is when
you have a lot of devices to configure with the same change. An
example of this is where we restrict SNMP access on all devices using
an access-list. Additional monitoring stations were added recently, so
we could change the access-list on all those devices using the
NETCONFIG facility in CW. Even then, some of the updates failed with
an error saying that the telnet password was incorrect for some
devices. However, when we ran CHECK DEVICE ATTRIBUTES against those
failed devices, CW reported that the telnet password was OK. So, why
the failure occurred I do not know!

We don't use CW to upgrade IOS levels on switches as we have had very
mixed results trying to apply s/w upgrades. It seems to fail more
often that not, for various reasons, for example the switch doesn't
have the recommended amount of flash or RAM. So we use the CLI to do
this instead.

So, unless anyone else can be more re-assuring about using CW for IOS
upgrades, I would just recommend using if for config changes.

Hope that helps.

Pete

Ivan Ostres

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> Ivan Ostres <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<c62rdr$7fe61$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> > Can someone please write some good/bad expiriences with CiscoWorks in
> > case of IOS Deployment/configuration management on some live networks.
> >
> > We are in planning phase and we would like to know what works good,
> > what's bad etc.

> We use Ciscoworks to help manage our network, which consists of 6509s,
> 3508s, 7206s, 2924s, 2950s and various other odd bits of Cisco kit. I
> have to say I am not a big fan of Ciscoworks. It is very windows
> "unfriendly", for example cut-and-paste doesn't work between CW and
> other windows applications. That is just one example, but there are
> many others.
>
> However, it is useful in some cases. One of the main benefits is when
> you have a lot of devices to configure with the same change. An
> example of this is where we restrict SNMP access on all devices using
> an access-list. Additional monitoring stations were added recently, so
> we could change the access-list on all those devices using the
> NETCONFIG facility in CW. Even then, some of the updates failed with
> an error saying that the telnet password was incorrect for some
> devices. However, when we ran CHECK DEVICE ATTRIBUTES against those
> failed devices, CW reported that the telnet password was OK. So, why
> the failure occurred I do not know!
>
> We don't use CW to upgrade IOS levels on switches as we have had very
> mixed results trying to apply s/w upgrades. It seems to fail more
> often that not, for various reasons, for example the switch doesn't
> have the recommended amount of flash or RAM. So we use the CLI to do
> this instead.
>
> So, unless anyone else can be more re-assuring about using CW for IOS
> upgrades, I would just recommend using if for config changes.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Pete

Thanks Pete, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. Beacuse some
consultants convinced one of our customers that they can upgrade IOS-es
on their routers without a problem and from test we were doing, we had a
bunch of problems. On the other hand, I don't feel too good with
automated IOS upgrade on routers 1000 miles away without modem on AUX
port. Just wanted to see if I'm doing something wrong with it..

--I.

Tax Johnson

> Thanks Pete, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. Beacuse some
> consultants convinced one of our customers that they can upgrade IOS-es
> on their routers without a problem and from test we were doing, we had a
> bunch of problems. On the other hand, I don't feel too good with
> automated IOS upgrade on routers 1000 miles away without modem on AUX
> port. Just wanted to see if I'm doing something wrong with it..
>

> --I.

I'd have to echo Pete's experiences. I have grown to not trust CW. I've
seen netconfig do flakey things. Not to mention, I just don't trust CW to
upgrade IOS. The only thing I use it for is to keep an eye on any config
changes made and to retrieve backups when needed. And even that stuff could
be done with freebie scripts.

Oh yeah, the Java Plugin required always causes me troubles, too.

Lothar Hofmann

Tax Johnson wrote:
>>Thanks Pete, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. Beacuse some
>>consultants convinced one of our customers that they can upgrade IOS-es
>>on their routers without a problem and from test we were doing, we had a
>>bunch of problems. On the other hand, I don't feel too good with
>>automated IOS upgrade on routers 1000 miles away without modem on AUX
>>port. Just wanted to see if I'm doing something wrong with it..
>>

>>--I.

> I'd have to echo Pete's experiences. I have grown to not trust CW. I've
> seen netconfig do flakey things. Not to mention, I just don't trust CW to
> upgrade IOS. The only thing I use it for is to keep an eye on any config
> changes made and to retrieve backups when needed. And even that stuff could
> be done with freebie scripts.
>
> Oh yeah, the Java Plugin required always causes me troubles, too.

We can only agree to it! It's a tool to have a look at the config etc.
but not for upgrades.

Lothar

Lothar Hofmann HRZ / computer center Mail: (E-Mail Removed)
Universitaet Siegen
Hoelderlinstr. 3 Phone: +49 271 740 4760
D - 57068 Siegen Fax: +49 271 740 2523

Ivan Ostres

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-siegen.de>, (E-Mail Removed)-
siegen.de says...

> Tax Johnson wrote:
> >>Thanks Pete, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. Beacuse some
> >>consultants convinced one of our customers that they can upgrade IOS-es
> >>on their routers without a problem and from test we were doing, we had a
> >>bunch of problems. On the other hand, I don't feel too good with
> >>automated IOS upgrade on routers 1000 miles away without modem on AUX
> >>port. Just wanted to see if I'm doing something wrong with it..
> >>

> >>--I.

> > I'd have to echo Pete's experiences. I have grown to not trust CW. I've
> > seen netconfig do flakey things. Not to mention, I just don't trust CW to
> > upgrade IOS. The only thing I use it for is to keep an eye on any config
> > changes made and to retrieve backups when needed. And even that stuff could
> > be done with freebie scripts.
> >
> > Oh yeah, the Java Plugin required always causes me troubles, too.
> >

> We can only agree to it! It's a tool to have a look at the config etc.
> but not for upgrades.

Great. I'm glad that I share the "general" opinion. It seems a little to
much to pay for such package just for configuration management.

--
Ivan