Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Pygame book

Pygame book

Lucas Raab

I was at the bookstore the other day and I noticed a book that dealt with
making games with Pygame. As I recall the book title was "Game Programming
with Python." I have an interest in making games, so I was wondering if any
of you have this book and if you do, could you please give me a nice
overview and whether I should buy the book or not.

TIA
Lucas

Fredrik Lundh

Lucas Raab wrote:

> I was at the bookstore the other day and I noticed a book that dealt with
> making games with Pygame. As I recall the book title was "Game Programming
> with Python." I have an interest in making games, so I was wondering if any
> of you have this book and if you do, could you please give me a nice
> overview and whether I should buy the book or not.

here's a very brief review (or rather, a "first impressions"):

http://dev.r.tucows.com/blog/_archiv.../19/36769.html

</F>

Chris Herborth

Lucas Raab wrote:

> I was at the bookstore the other day and I noticed a book that dealt with
> making games with Pygame. As I recall the book title was "Game Programming
> with Python." I have an interest in making games, so I was wondering if any
> of you have this book and if you do, could you please give me a nice
> overview and whether I should buy the book or not.

Assuming it's this one:

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1584502584/

("Game Programing with Python" by Sean Riley) it certainly looks good; I'd
love to pick up a copy. I'll definitely keep my eye out for it the next
time I'm in Chapters.

3 reviewers all gave it 5/5 stars.

There's another one:

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592000770/

("Game Programming with Python, Lua and Ruby" by Tom Gutschmidt) Neither of
the two reviewers liked it (1.5/5 stars).

--
Chris Herborth http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Documentation Overlord, CRYPTOCard Corp. http://www.cryptocard.com/

Timo Virkkala

Lucas Raab wrote:

> I was at the bookstore the other day and I noticed a book that dealt with
> making games with Pygame. As I recall the book title was "Game Programming
> with Python." I have an interest in making games, so I was wondering if any
> of you have this book and if you do, could you please give me a nice
> overview and whether I should buy the book or not.

I own the book, and I liked it a lot. During the book the author
develops a game framework. Sure, there's some things I'd like to do
differently, but overall it seemed like solid work. There are also
chapters on extending and embedding Python.

I'd suggest you take a closer look at the book, and if you like it, buy
it. I haven't regretted spending my money on it =)

--
Timo Virkkala

Timo Virkkala

Simon Burton wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:54:19 +0000, Timo Virkkala wrote:
> Does it cover PyOpenGL ?
> What about pyODE (open dynamics engine) ?
> Pyrex??

There's a full Table of Contents and a sample at
http://www.charlesriver.com/titles/pythongame.html

It uses PyOpenGL to some extent, but doesn't teach much about it. Quote
from the book:

"""This is not a book about OpenGL, so this section only
includes a minimal amount of detail about the OpenGL
code being used. For more detail on OpenGL programming,
there are many other resources available both in books
and online."""

pyODE isn't even mentioned in the book - which is a shame,
I'd like to have read about it too. Pyrex is absent too, but there is
some information about SWIG, Boost and Psyco.

--
Timo Virkkala

Simon Burton

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:54:19 +0000, Timo Virkkala wrote:

> Lucas Raab wrote:
>
> I own the book, and I liked it a lot. During the book the author develops
> a game framework. Sure, there's some things I'd like to do differently,
> but overall it seemed like solid work. There are also chapters on
> extending and embedding Python.
>
> I'd suggest you take a closer look at the book, and if you like it, buy
> it. I haven't regretted spending my money on it =)

Does it cover PyOpenGL ?
What about pyODE (open dynamics engine) ?
Pyrex??

Simon.