Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > python module for interactive web charts

python module for interactive web charts

Moosebumps

Is there anything that is made to generate web pages which have charts
similar to the yahoo finance stock charts? Not looking to graph stocks
specifically, but anything. I like how you can zoom on each axis, and maybe
click to see numerical values and such.

If there isn't anything in Python, what do people typically use for that
kind of stuff, or is it all hand-rolled?

thanks,
MB

John Hunter

Moosebumps> Is there anything that is made to generate web pages
Moosebumps> which have charts similar to the yahoo finance stock
Moosebumps> charts? Not looking to graph stocks specifically, but
Moosebumps> anything. I like how you can zoom on each axis, and
Moosebumps> maybe click to see numerical values and such.

Moosebumps> If there isn't anything in Python, what do people
Moosebumps> typically use for that kind of stuff, or is it all
Moosebumps> hand-rolled?

matplotlib is a 2D plotting library that supports a number of plot
types - http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html. The
library can generate plots either to GUIs or just generate images if
you want to use it in a web application server. See this link
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/faq.html#APPSERVER for more
information about using matplotlib in a web server. There are
interactive navigation tools for panning and zooming, etc.

The next release 0.53 due out early next week will have a lot of
support for making date plots, using python datetimes, mx.Datetime, or
other, with a hodge podge of minor and major date tick locators and
formatters. There is also a financial module in the works which will
be finished soon for candlestick plots and the like.

If you're interested in getting announcements when these features are
ready, you may want to join the mailing list
http://lists.sourceforge.net/mailman...tplotlib-users.

Cheers,
John Hunter

Moosebumps

Thanks, that looks great -- just what I'm looking for! As a note, it's nice
that all the figures are anti-aliased -- even a lot of commercial packages
that I looked at don't have that.

MB

"John Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Moosebumps> Is there anything that is made to generate web pages
> Moosebumps> which have charts similar to the yahoo finance stock
> Moosebumps> charts? Not looking to graph stocks specifically, but
> Moosebumps> anything. I like how you can zoom on each axis, and
> Moosebumps> maybe click to see numerical values and such.
>
> Moosebumps> If there isn't anything in Python, what do people
> Moosebumps> typically use for that kind of stuff, or is it all
> Moosebumps> hand-rolled?
>
> matplotlib is a 2D plotting library that supports a number of plot
> types - http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html. The
> library can generate plots either to GUIs or just generate images if
> you want to use it in a web application server. See this link
> http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/faq.html#APPSERVER for more
> information about using matplotlib in a web server. There are
> interactive navigation tools for panning and zooming, etc.
>
> The next release 0.53 due out early next week will have a lot of
> support for making date plots, using python datetimes, mx.Datetime, or
> other, with a hodge podge of minor and major date tick locators and
> formatters. There is also a financial module in the works which will
> be finished soon for candlestick plots and the like.
>
> If you're interested in getting announcements when these features are
> ready, you may want to join the mailing list
> http://lists.sourceforge.net/mailman...tplotlib-users.
>
> Cheers,
> John Hunter

gsm

goto

http://www.advsofteng.com/

you can do everythign with this library and it is HTTP server optimised ...
i.e small footprint

news:hahgc.23618$(E-Mail Removed) om...