Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Convert from PDF to raster format image

Convert from PDF to raster format image

R.Marquez

Does any one know of a way to convert PDF documents into a raster
format, such as TIFF or JPEG? Of course to do it in Python would be
my preference, but if you know of another way to do this
programatically I would also be interested. Thanks.

-Ruben

Fredrik Lundh

"R.Marquez" wrote:

> Does any one know of a way to convert PDF documents into a raster
> format, such as TIFF or JPEG? Of course to do it in Python would be
> my preference, but if you know of another way to do this
> programatically I would also be interested. Thanks.

did you try ghostscript?

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/
http://www.ghostscript.com

</F>

Kyler Laird

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (R.Marquez) writes:

>Does any one know of a way to convert PDF documents into a raster
>format, such as TIFF or JPEG? Of course to do it in Python would be
>my preference, but if you know of another way to do this
>programatically I would also be interested. Thanks.

I'm all for Pythonic solutions but from my experience your best bet
is to just use Ghostscript. It's easy to call it from Python.

--kyler

Andrew MacIntyre

On Sat, 16 Apr 2004, R.Marquez wrote:

> Does any one know of a way to convert PDF documents into a raster
> format, such as TIFF or JPEG? Of course to do it in Python would be
> my preference, but if you know of another way to do this
> programatically I would also be interested. Thanks.

Ghostscript?

If it can, on some platforms GS is built as a DLL or shared object, with a
defined API. The ctypes module might be able to let you drive this;
failing that, os.system() would work.

--
Andrew I MacIntyre "These thoughts are mine alone..."
E-mail: (E-Mail Removed) (pref) | Snail: PO Box 370