Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > C7200 Memory upgrade questions..

C7200 Memory upgrade questions..

Peter

Hi Folks,

Last night I was tasked to perform a memory upgrade on a 7204 from
64MB to 128MB for an IOS upgrade requiring the extra memory, and was
given a 64MB RAM kit (supplied by Cisco). The package that arrived
contained 2 x SIMMS, each SIMM had a label on it that indicated it was
64MB!!!

Upon pulling the NPE-200 I found all 4 SIMM slots occupied, with 2
different SIMM manufacturers in there and while one pair were labeled
as 16MB EACH, the other pair had no clear indication what size they
were, however logic indicated they were probably 16MB SIMMS as well. I
did note that all Memory present seemed to be in matched pairs. At
this point it became clear we would be short of the 128MB we needed.

I pulled all existing memory, inserted the new ones into slots 1 & 2
(applying the largest SIMMS first rule), and kept 1 existing pair of
SIMMS for slots 3 & 4. The result was 96MB (64 + 32) of RAM.

Question 1: Is there a reliable way to display the SIMM sizes
currently installed on a running 7200 without pulling the NPE card and
taking a physical look?

Question 2: Do Cisco normally label such a dual set of SIMMS with a
label reading each SIMM as the TOTAL of the pair??? I would have
expected each new SIMM to be labeled as 32MB, not 64MB...

Thanks...........pk.

--
*** Replace SOMEONE with prk ***

Andrey Tarasov

Hello, Peter!
You wrote on Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:22:36 +1200:

P> Question 1: Is there a reliable way to display the SIMM sizes
P> currently installed on a running 7200 without pulling the NPE
P> card and taking a physical look?

It's not the answer you are looking for but on 2600 running IOS 12.3(5) "show
c2600" command gives the required information. I have no idea when it was
introduced and if this functionality exists on 7200 platform. I would appreciate
If somebody can shed some light on this topic.

With best regards,
Andrey.

Ben

From the Cisco site:

NPE-200 Memory Information
Table 1-5 provides information about memory specifications. Table 1-6
provides memory configurations for the NPE-200.

Table 1-5 NPE-200 Memory Specifications

Memory Type Size Quantity Description Component Location on
the NPE-200 Board
DRAM
32 to 128 MB
2 to 4
16- or 32-MB SIMMs (based on maximum DRAM required)
Bank 0: U11 and U25
Bank 1: U42 and U52

SRAM
4 MB
8
8 chips, each being 512K x 8 bits wide
U6, U10, U13, U14, U28, U29, U38, and U39

Boot ROM
256 KB
1
EPROM for the ROM monitor programs
U92

Primary cache
-
-
R5000 processor, internal cache
U44

Secondary cache
512 KB
4
R5000 processor, unified, external cache
U16, U9, U109, and U107

Table 1-6 NPE-200 DRAM SIMM Configurations-Configurable Memory Only

Total DRAM1 Bank 0 Quantity - Bank 0 Bank 1 Quantity - Bank
1 Product Number
32 MB
U11 and U25
2 16-MB SIMMs
U42 and U52
-
MEM-NPE-32MB2

64 MB
U11 and U25
2 32-MB SIMMs
U42 and U52
-
MEM-NPE-64MB2

128 MB
U11 and U25
2 32-MB SIMMs
U42 and U52
2 32-MB SIMMs
MEM-NPE-128MB2

1 Refer to the Cisco AS5800 Universal Access Server documentation
listed in the "Related Documentation" section for Cisco AS5800 Universal
Access Server DRAM options.

2 These products are also available as DRAM upgrades. For example, to
upgrade a network processing engine from 32 MB to 64 MB of DRAM, order
Product Number MEM-NPE-64MB=.

It would appear you have 4x16mb in there - a show version would verify this
anyway.

e.g. ROUTER#sh ver
<snip>
cisco 7204VXR (NPE225) processor (revision A) with
245760K/16384K bytes of memory.

Try replacing the 4 simms with the 2 new ones and issue a show version to
see if you truly have 64mb or 128mb of new RAM.

I have actually experienced a similar thing with 5400's - extra memory
appearing from Cisco. I choose not to question it too closely!!!

newsgogc.1817$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>
> Last night I was tasked to perform a memory upgrade on a 7204 from
> 64MB to 128MB for an IOS upgrade requiring the extra memory, and was
> given a 64MB RAM kit (supplied by Cisco). The package that arrived
> contained 2 x SIMMS, each SIMM had a label on it that indicated it was
> 64MB!!!
>
> Upon pulling the NPE-200 I found all 4 SIMM slots occupied, with 2
> different SIMM manufacturers in there and while one pair were labeled
> as 16MB EACH, the other pair had no clear indication what size they
> were, however logic indicated they were probably 16MB SIMMS as well. I
> did note that all Memory present seemed to be in matched pairs. At
> this point it became clear we would be short of the 128MB we needed.
>
> I pulled all existing memory, inserted the new ones into slots 1 & 2
> (applying the largest SIMMS first rule), and kept 1 existing pair of
> SIMMS for slots 3 & 4. The result was 96MB (64 + 32) of RAM.
>
> Question 1: Is there a reliable way to display the SIMM sizes
> currently installed on a running 7200 without pulling the NPE card and
> taking a physical look?
>
> Question 2: Do Cisco normally label such a dual set of SIMMS with a
> label reading each SIMM as the TOTAL of the pair??? I would have
> expected each new SIMM to be labeled as 32MB, not 64MB...
>
> Thanks...........pk.
>

> --
> *** Replace SOMEONE with prk ***

C7200 => very long boot .... FastEthernet1/0 cable/connector problem? Mag Cisco 3 01-13-2009 12:43 AM
c7200-p-mz.12.0-28.S.bin binary file sinbad Cisco 1 07-06-2007 02:16 PM
C7200-i/o-fe-mii/rj45 castor Cisco 0 11-01-2006 10:32 PM
Error when load an IOS on my PCMCIA flash card (C7200-I/O-2FE/E) SNS101 Cisco 0 09-15-2006 05:44 PM
pppoe server on c7200 kkuuffeell Cisco 5 05-12-2006 01:21 PM

Advertisments