Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > mcmillan installer

mcmillan installer

Gianluca Trombetta

Hi all,

I'm searching a tool that compile python script to an executable binary.
I found the mcmillan installer but i can't find a valid url to download it.

Do someone know a valid url to download it or know another similar tool?

Thanks.
Gianluca

Larry Bates

You might also want to take a look at py2exe. It seems to
be under active development and Thomas Heller (author)
monitors this list frequently.

http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/

Larry Bates
Syscon, Inc.

"Gianluca Trombetta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm searching a tool that compile python script to an executable binary.
> I found the mcmillan installer but i can't find a valid url to download

it.

> Do someone know a valid url to download it or know another similar tool?
>
> Thanks.
> Gianluca

Steve Holden

Gianluca Trombetta wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm searching a tool that compile python script to an executable binary.
> I found the mcmillan installer but i can't find a valid url to download it.
>
> Do someone know a valid url to download it or know another similar tool?
>
> Thanks.
> Gianluca

Unfortunately Gordon Macmillan seems to have disappeared without trace,
which is a great pity. The macmillan-inc domain registration appears to
have expired without renewal:

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

No match for "MACMILLAN-INC.COM".

>>> Last update of whois database: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:17:14 EDT <<<

If anybody has news of Gordon I'm sure many people would like to know
he's OK. His work on the installer was much admired, and we should try
to make sure it isn't lost.

regards
Steve

Gianluca Trombetta

thank you Larry,

but I need to compile for linux platform and py2exe only work on windows

Gianluca

"Larry Bates" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You might also want to take a look at py2exe. It seems to
> be under active development and Thomas Heller (author)
> monitors this list frequently.
>
> http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/
>
> Larry Bates
> Syscon, Inc.
>

> "Gianluca Trombetta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm searching a tool that compile python script to an executable binary.
> > I found the mcmillan installer but i can't find a valid url to download

> it.
> >
> > Do someone know a valid url to download it or know another similar tool?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Gianluca

Haim Ashkenazi

Gianluca Trombetta wrote:

> thank you Larry,
>
> but I need to compile for linux platform and py2exe only work on windows

you can use freeze. search for freeze.py in your python installation.

Bye
--
Haim

simo

I've mirrored the last 3 versions I could find at home (5beta5 for
Win/UNIX and 5b4 for Win) at http://www.the-jedi.co.uk/comps/downloads

I'd really like to know what happened, I heard that Gordon had some
problems with his hosts being taken over, but now his domain seems to
have expired too. I hope he's OK.

I don't know if he's thought of using Sourceforge.net or even
BitTorrent, I think my bandwidth quota can cope for now.

Personally I prefer Installer to py2exe, mainly because of --onefile
and --upx and of course, it works with Linux too!

Chris Green

"Gianluca Trombetta" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> thank you Larry,
>
> but I need to compile for linux platform and py2exe only work on windows

http://starship.python.net/crew/atuining/cx_Freeze/

I've had pretty good luck getting this to work under Linux though
haven't gone into production with it. It's a pretty confusing to get
started but it says it works on Linux & Windows.

I've only tried Linux but after a lot of hair pulling I was able to
get 4suite + wxPython + other modules all into a single app directory.

The hardest part there was the encodings directory of the basic python
where there are complicated things going on with __import__ and it
doesn't figure them out.
--
Chris Green <(E-Mail Removed)>
Chicken's thinkin'

Alan Miller

Steve Holden ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
>Unfortunately Gordon Macmillan seems to have disappeared without trace,
>which is a great pity. The macmillan-inc domain registration appears to
>have expired without renewal:

Actually, you typo'd that - mcmillan-inc.com is registered until April
of 2005.

Still, I'm on the mailing list (which survived the apparent
disappearance of mcmillan-inc.com) and haven't heard anything. There was
one query a few weeks ago, but no responses.

ajm

Alan Miller

Got an email back from Gordon McMillan - he's had some other things he
had to deal with lately, but he's still around. He didn't say when he
might get back to dealing with his domain or installer, but hopefully
things will clear up and it won't be too long.

ajm