Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Sup 720 vs Sup II in Catalyst 6509

Sup 720 vs Sup II in Catalyst 6509

netman42

I am looking to replace a core network with a new 6509 chassis. I am
replacing a cabletron/enterasys ssr8600 16 slot switch/router. My
question is: how much more value do i get with SUP 720 card vs Sup II
but not sure I can justify the costs. I want to take advantage of
10/100/1000 ae 48 port cards. I see express forwarding but...

Chris Thomas

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> I am looking to replace a core network with a new 6509 chassis. I am
> replacing a cabletron/enterasys ssr8600 16 slot switch/router. My
> question is: how much more value do i get with SUP 720 card vs Sup II
> but not sure I can justify the costs. I want to take advantage of
> 10/100/1000 ae 48 port cards. I see express forwarding but...

48 gig ports per card on a sup II is badly overbooked, with only an 8
gig bplane connection. It's still overbooked on a 720, but with two
20 gig connections, much less so.

/Chris, UCLA

Andrey Tarasov

Hello, Chris!
You wrote on Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:34:40 -0700:

>> I am looking to replace a core network with a new 6509 chassis.
>> I am replacing a cabletron/enterasys ssr8600 16 slot
>> switch/router. My question is: how much more value do i get
>> with SUP 720 card vs Sup II but not sure I can justify the
>> costs. I want to take advantage of 10/100/1000 ae 48 port
>> cards. I see express forwarding but...

CT> 48 gig ports per card on a sup II is badly overbooked, with
CT> only an 8 gig bplane connection. It's still overbooked on a
CT> 720, but with two 20 gig connections, much less so.

Just my $0.02v- in order to get 8 gig (actually 16 gig, I believe, because it
will be dual attached) with Sup II you need Switched Fabric Module also. Last
time I've looked into Cisco's price list Sup II + SFM was about $7K more than
Sup720 which has SFM built-in. So from price point of view Sup720 is cheaper
unless you don't want/have fabric enabled modules and the only thing you need is
32 gig shared backplane. But than - why not 3750?

With best regards,
Andrey.

Hansang Bae

In article <c5q4dt$9u9$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> Just my $0.02v- in order to get 8 gig (actually 16 gig, I believe, because it
> will be dual attached) with Sup II you need Switched Fabric Module also. Last
> time I've looked into Cisco's price list Sup II + SFM was about $7K more than
> Sup720 which has SFM built-in. So from price point of view Sup720 is cheaper
> unless you don't want/have fabric enabled modules and the only thing you need is
> 32 gig shared backplane. But than - why not 3750?

Before considering the throughput numbers, you have think about support.
Or lack thereof. Last time we looked at the 720 (two months ago?),
there was *ONE* image that supported it. If you run into some type of a
bug, you're screwed. This was a deal breaker for us. I'll wait til the
beast matures a bit more.

--

hsb

Andrey Tarasov

Hello, Hansang!
You wrote on Sat, 17 Apr 2004 03:14:45 GMT:

HB> Before considering the throughput numbers, you have think
HB> about support.
HB> Or lack thereof. Last time we looked at the 720 (two months
HB> ago?), there was *ONE* image that supported it. If you run
HB> into some type of a bug, you're screwed. This was a deal
HB> breaker for us. I'll wait til the beast matures a bit more.

Well, either your two months are really long ones or... Quick look into Software
Center shows that there is 5 images in CatOS and 6 in IOS

But on a serious note I totally agree - if, for example, Safe Harbor images is
the only choice than price/performance is not an important factor at all.

With best regards,
Andrey.

Rob

To me, IOS wins out regardless of other features. But that's just me.

On 16 Apr 2004 13:40:23 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (netman42)
wrote:

>I am looking to replace a core network with a new 6509 chassis. I am
>replacing a cabletron/enterasys ssr8600 16 slot switch/router. My
>question is: how much more value do i get with SUP 720 card vs Sup II
>but not sure I can justify the costs. I want to take advantage of
>10/100/1000 ae 48 port cards. I see express forwarding but...

netman42

Hello Andrey,
Thanks for all the responses...
What do you mean by the 3750? I know that is a workgroup level switch.

Thanks,
Netman42

"Andrey Tarasov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<c5q4dt$9u9$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hello, Chris!
> You wrote on Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:34:40 -0700:
>
> >> I am looking to replace a core network with a new 6509 chassis.
> >> I am replacing a cabletron/enterasys ssr8600 16 slot
> >> switch/router. My question is: how much more value do i get
> >> with SUP 720 card vs Sup II but not sure I can justify the
> >> costs. I want to take advantage of 10/100/1000 ae 48 port
> >> cards. I see express forwarding but...

> CT> 48 gig ports per card on a sup II is badly overbooked, with
> CT> only an 8 gig bplane connection. It's still overbooked on a
> CT> 720, but with two 20 gig connections, much less so.
>
> Just my $0.02v- in order to get 8 gig (actually 16 gig, I believe, because it
> will be dual attached) with Sup II you need Switched Fabric Module also. Last
> time I've looked into Cisco's price list Sup II + SFM was about $7K more than
> Sup720 which has SFM built-in. So from price point of view Sup720 is cheaper
> unless you don't want/have fabric enabled modules and the only thing you need is
> 32 gig shared backplane. But than - why not 3750?
>
> With best regards,
> Andrey.

Chris Thomas

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> Thanks for all the responses...
> What do you mean by the 3750? I know that is a workgroup level switch.

The 3750 is an extremely capable "workstation switch" which has a 32
Gb backplane, and full routing capabilities including BGP (although
due to memory constraints it won't hold a full Internet route table.)
In a lot of ways, the 3750 is similar in performance to a small 6500
with a Sup 1 or Sup 2 without SFM (switch fabric module), and very
much less expensive. I believe that was Andrey's point.

/Chris, UCLA

Re: Boot Problem: 6509 with sup 720 Brian V Cisco 1 12-04-2006 05:26 PM
6509 dual supervisor 720 sensei Cisco 4 05-14-2006 10:19 AM
question on power 6509 sup 720 thebighere Cisco 2 05-10-2005 12:10 AM
Does a 720 dpi printer actually print 720 true dots per inch? Paul D. Sullivan Digital Photography 15 11-23-2004 03:17 PM
6509 with sup.720 routing vlan question NNTP Cisco 1 07-28-2004 07:13 PM

Advertisments