Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Distributing a Python based application on Linux

Distributing a Python based application on Linux

Ramki

Hi !!

I have written an install script to deploy some of my product rpms.
The install script does OS Version Check, OS Memory check, logging the
status of install into a log file amongst other things.

Now the size of my product rpms is around 3 MB. If I am to distribute
Python along with the install, it is taking around 12 MB totally (the
python gz tar is around 9 MB), which is not ideal.

Is there way I can avoid this by distributing only the bare minimum
Python related binary along with my rpms ?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Ram.

Eddie Corns

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ramki) writes:

>Hi !!

>I have written an install script to deploy some of my product rpms.
>The install script does OS Version Check, OS Memory check, logging the
>status of install into a log file amongst other things.

>Now the size of my product rpms is around 3 MB. If I am to distribute
>Python along with the install, it is taking around 12 MB totally (the
>python gz tar is around 9 MB), which is not ideal.

>Is there way I can avoid this by distributing only the bare minimum
>Python related binary along with my rpms ?

Many versions of Linux have Python already so it may not be a problem. Maybe
someone could concoct a Perl script that checks if Python is on the machine
and if not downloads it from a suitable location (either to a local directory
or to the system depending on need/access). That way, only people who aren't
hip enough to have Python installed get penalised!

Eddie

Ed Suominen

One of the beauties of Linux is that you are neither required nor encouraged
to put together the big, monolithic installation packages that Windows
typically requires. Most (all?) distributions will include Python and most
of the modules you'll be needing.

-Ed Suominen