Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > [maybe OT] Making posters

[maybe OT] Making posters

Michele Simionato

Perhaps this is a bit off topic, but I haven't had look browsing on the
net, so I thought I will try my chance here. I am looking for a
tool taking a postscript file and enlarging it to make a poster.
For instance I want to convert a picture taking a sheet in a poster
made by four sheet that I can compose. Any suggestion? A Python
suggestion would help me to stay on topic

Michele Simionato

Richie Hindle

[Michele]
> Perhaps this is a bit off topic, but I haven't had look browsing on the
> net, so I thought I will try my chance here. I am looking for a
> tool taking a postscript file and enlarging it to make a poster.
> For instance I want to convert a picture taking a sheet in a poster
> made by four sheet that I can compose. Any suggestion? A Python
> suggestion would help me to stay on topic

You don't mention your platform, but my printer driver (WinXP driver for
the Samsumg ML-1210 laser printer) will do this itself for any document -
have you had a good dig though your printer driver options?

--
Richie Hindle

Daniel Ellison

"Richie Hindle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> [Michele]
> > Perhaps this is a bit off topic, but I haven't had look browsing on the
> > net, so I thought I will try my chance here. I am looking for a
> > tool taking a postscript file and enlarging it to make a poster.
> > For instance I want to convert a picture taking a sheet in a poster
> > made by four sheet that I can compose. Any suggestion? A Python
> > suggestion would help me to stay on topic

> You don't mention your platform, but my printer driver (WinXP driver for
> the Samsumg ML-1210 laser printer) will do this itself for any document -
> have you had a good dig though your printer driver options?
>
> --
> Richie Hindle
> (E-Mail Removed)

If you have the raw Postscript file, you can simply add a line near the
beginning that looks something like this:

400 400 scale

which will scale the image by 400%. It's been quite a while since I did
Postscript programming so the example might not be 100% correct, but a bit
of research will get you on the right track.

It's not Python, but it'll work.

Dan

Roger Binns

Michele Simionato wrote:
> Perhaps this is a bit off topic, but I haven't had look browsing on the
> net, so I thought I will try my chance here. I am looking for a
> tool taking a postscript file and enlarging it to make a poster.

Well, it was on topic enough for PyCon

http://www.python.org/pycon/dc2004/papers/52/main.html

Roger

Paul McGuire

"Michele Simionato" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Perhaps this is a bit off topic, but I haven't had look browsing on the
> net, so I thought I will try my chance here. I am looking for a
> tool taking a postscript file and enlarging it to make a poster.
> For instance I want to convert a picture taking a sheet in a poster
> made by four sheet that I can compose. Any suggestion? A Python
> suggestion would help me to stay on topic
>

> Michele Simionato

Try the Rasterbator (not Python, uses Flash and Adobe):

http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

-- Paul

Jacek Generowicz

(E-Mail Removed) (Michele Simionato) writes:

> I am looking for a tool taking a postscript file and enlarging it to
> make a poster.

It's called "Postscript".

You could start by looking here:

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject...ors.html#scale

Michele Simionato

Jacek Generowicz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Michele Simionato) writes:
>
> > I am looking for a tool taking a postscript file and enlarging it to
> > make a poster.

> It's called "Postscript".
>
> You could start by looking here:
>
> http://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject...ors.html#scale

What I do not understand is if the "scale" operator automatically splits
the graph in many pages if it becomes too large. Anyway, I have found a way
to get what I want from GraphViz, but I cannot check it since the printer
died just today!

Michele Simionato

Daniel Ellison

"Michele Simionato" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What I do not understand is if the "scale" operator automatically splits
> the graph in many pages if it becomes too large.

Probably not. As I said, it's been a few years, but I would suspect the
"scale" operator simply scales the user coordinate system by the proportions
given so that everything drawn after that command will be rendered
accordingly. It's most likely the host application or utility that splits
the image into multiple pages.

Dan

Ralf Muschall

(E-Mail Removed) (Michele Simionato) writes:

> What I do not understand is if the "scale" operator automatically splits
> the graph in many pages if it becomes too large. Anyway, I have found a way

It doesn't. If you really want to do it this way, create many copies
of the scaled file and shift the relevant part into the paper using
translate.

The non-sucking method is to use the command poster(1) which comes
with most linux distributions.

Ralf
--
GS d->? s:++>+++ a+ C++++ UL+++ UH++ P++ L++ E+++ W- N++ o-- K- w--- !O M- V-
PS+>++ PE Y+>++ PGP+ !t !5 !X !R !tv b+++ DI+++ D? G+ e++++ h+ r? y?

Jon Nicoll

Hi Michelle

There was a PostScript program called 'poster' which came with the
original PostScript 'Blue Book' of recipes. You prepended this to the
beginning of your file and it did the scaling, translating and
cropping etc.

The code for 'poster', as well as other blue book examples, seems to
be available here:

http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/p...rogram_13.html

Regards
Jon N