Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Python conference slogan

Re: Python conference slogan

Kyler Laird

Shane Hathaway <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>I don't know if international folks will
>get it, though.

If they don't, we just send in troops to explain it
to them, right?

--kyler

Peter Maas

Kyler Laird wrote:
> Shane Hathaway <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>>I don't know if international folks will
>>get it, though.

> If they don't, we just send in troops to explain it
> to them, right?

I surrender immediately and have to admit that I don't get it (One
Nation Under Under Python). Google was no help. I couldn't find the
source, only echoes (seems to be a wide spread joke pattern in the
US). Care to give us ignorants a hint?

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Peter Maas

Peter Maas, M+R Infosysteme, D-52070 Aachen, Hubert-Wienen-Str. 24
Tel +49-241-93878-0 Fax +49-241-93878-20 eMail http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Aahz

In article <c4glmq$j1i$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Peter Maas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I surrender immediately and have to admit that I don't get it (One
>Nation Under Under Python). Google was no help. I couldn't find the
>source, only echoes (seems to be a wide spread joke pattern in the
>US). Care to give us ignorants a hint?

It's from the Pledge of Allegiance:

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The "under under" part of course refers to Python's special methods.

See also http://history.vineyard.net/pledge.htm

IIRC, there's currently a court case to remove the "under God" part.

"usenet imitates usenet" --Darkhawk

Cameron Laird

In article <c4h6ad$lu0$(E-Mail Removed)>, Aahz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
.
.
.
>IIRC, there's currently a court case to remove the "under God" part.

.
.
.
In the litigious US, court cases for everything are unceasing. What
I suspect you have in mind is a Supreme Court hearing for a father
who, if I understand correctly, claims his religious freedom as an
atheist unconstitutionally impaired because of a requirement imposed
by the public school his daughter attends that she recite The Pledge

More background appears at <URL: http://slate.msn.com/id/2067499/ >.
--

Cameron Laird <(E-Mail Removed)>
Business: http://www.Phaseit.net

Peter Hansen

Cameron Laird wrote:
> In the litigious US, court cases for everything are unceasing. What
> I suspect you have in mind is a Supreme Court hearing for a father
> who, if I understand correctly, claims his religious freedom as an
> atheist unconstitutionally impaired because of a requirement imposed
> by the public school his daughter attends that she recite The Pledge
>
> More background appears at <URL: http://slate.msn.com/id/2067499/ >.

Without following the links to verify, I'll just note (since I
was reading this on the subway while heading for the PyCon venue)
that the recitation is apparently not even mandatory (for the girl)
but the father was objecting that she would even have to stand
there and listen to it. (I don't know what the "rules" say, but
the school representative said the girl didn't even have to say
the pledge.)

-Peter

simo

Peter Maas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I surrender immediately and have to admit that I don't get it (One
> Nation Under Under Python). Google was no help. I couldn't find the
> source, only echoes (seems to be a wide spread joke pattern in the
> US). Care to give us ignorants a hint?

Yeah, as an Englishman, I don't get it either (despite living in the US).

Is it some sort of Bush/Iraq joke again (Americans are obsessed with them)?

What about, "Don't be constricted by Java, try Python"?

Peter Maas

Aahz wrote:
> It's from the Pledge of Allegiance:
>
> I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
> and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God,
> indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
>
> The "under under" part of course refers to Python's special methods.

Ah, thanks. That was the hard part: under -> underscore.
"Under under" made me think of spluttering

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Peter Maas

Peter Maas, M+R Infosysteme, D-52070 Aachen, Hubert-Wienen-Str. 24
Tel +49-241-93878-0 Fax +49-241-93878-20 eMail (E-Mail Removed)

Shane Hathaway

simo wrote:
> Peter Maas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I surrender immediately and have to admit that I don't get it (One
>>Nation Under Under Python). Google was no help. I couldn't find the
>>source, only echoes (seems to be a wide spread joke pattern in the
>>US). Care to give us ignorants a hint?

> Yeah, as an Englishman, I don't get it either (despite living in the US).

Ok, it's definitely not good. It's a cross between the U.S. Pledge of
Allegience and Python's use of double-underscores. It was *not*
intended to suggest that Python replaces deity.

Any creative suggestions?

Shane

Ville Vainio

>>> I surrender immediately and have to admit that I don't get it (One
>>> Nation Under Under Python). Google was no help. I couldn't find the

Shane> Ok, it's definitely not good. It's a cross between the
Shane> U.S. Pledge of Allegience and Python's use of
Shane> double-underscores. It was *not* intended to suggest that
Shane> Python replaces deity.

Actually, it seems to bring up mostly fascistic connotations, esp. if
you are not American. Throw in the fact that we like to refer to Guido
as BDFL, and you are conveying a very unfortunate image .

--
Ville Vainio http://tinyurl.com/2prnb

Neil Benn

Hello,

What about:-

'He's not a static type, he's a very naughty variable' - Life of Brian
'Code Away, Code Away, Code Away' - from Run Away in Holy Grail
'Number 3, the Python' - from the larch sketch
'We are the coders who say nee' - from the knight in the holy grail
'Good god man, I've thrown you an exception It's nothing a mere
NoneType' holy grail again

The joy of being English is you grow up with this stuff!

Cheers,

Neil

--

Neil Benn
Senior Automation Engineer

Tel : +49 (351) 210 1300
e-mail : (E-Mail Removed)

Slogan Paddy Python 0 03-26-2006 12:03 PM
Suggestion for a new name, logo and slogan for the Mozilla Suite... Charles Firefox 2 03-12-2005 04:31 AM
Re: Python conference slogan Qp Python 1 04-01-2004 04:25 AM
Slogan: Getting Rich Overnight Christian Tismer Python 15 08-12-2003 03:53 PM
OT: The Advertising Slogan Generator =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?= MCSE 1 08-01-2003 06:32 PM

Advertisments