Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Python conference slogan

Re: Python conference slogan

Aahz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jacek Generowicz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A previous slogan was:
>
> Python: Programming the way Guido indented it.
>
>Pretty meaningless to Python outsiders, I'd say.

Close, but no cigar:

Python:
Programming the way
Guido indented it

"usenet imitates usenet" --Darkhawk

Mark Jackson

Peter Maas <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Jacek Generowicz wrote:
> > Peter Maas <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >

> >>These slogans are meaningless to (Monty) Python outsiders.

> [..]
> > A previous slogan was:
> >
> > Python: Programming the way Guido indented it.
> >
> > Pretty meaningless to Python outsiders, I'd say.

> No. Because an outsider will read 'intended it', at least I did.
> And that's not wrong, either The first poster (at least in my
> news reader) didn't tell anything about the purpose. For me a
> slogan's purpose is advertising and it's useless to advertise
> Python to people who like it already.

I have that T-shirt, and have worn it to non-geek events (e.g. when
acting as an adult advisor to a church youth conference). It does draw
programmers into conversation, and hence offers opportunities for
efangelism.

Hate to interrupt with a spelling flame, but it's "Cheney,"
not "Chaney." It may only be one letter, but it's 998 faces.
- Mike Peterson

Michael Bernstein

Peter Maas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<c4jj1i$f6g$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> [snip] As I understand this thread there is a need for a slogan
> that is short, not too hard to understand and unforgettable
> (probably a definition of the word slogan). Python insiders
> don't need a slogan at all.

Well, this is a bit more than just a slogan, I'm envisioning this on a
t-shirt (where the last line is significantly bigger than the rest):

Beautiful is better than ugly.
Explicit is better than implicit.
Simple is better than complex.
Complex is better than complicated.
Flat is better than nested.
Sparse is better than dense.

Python is BETTER.

(with thanks and/or apologies to Tim Peters)

- Michael R. Bernstein

free

Peter Hansen wrote:
> Cameron Laird wrote:
>
>> In the litigious US, court cases for everything are unceasing. What
>> I suspect you have in mind is a Supreme Court hearing for a father
>> who, if I understand correctly, claims his religious freedom as an
>> atheist unconstitutionally impaired because of a requirement imposed
>> by the public school his daughter attends that she recite The Pledge
>>
>> More background appears at <URL: http://slate.msn.com/id/2067499/ >.

> Without following the links to verify, I'll just note (since I
> was reading this on the subway while heading for the PyCon venue)
> that the recitation is apparently not even mandatory (for the girl)
> but the father was objecting that she would even have to stand
> there and listen to it. (I don't know what the "rules" say, but
> the school representative said the girl didn't even have to say
> the pledge.)
>
> -Peter

The father is put in an awkward position of having to explain how he is
not a traitor to his country of birth.

Edison, "Religion is bunk".

Josiah Carlson

> The father is put in an awkward position of having to explain how he is
> not a traitor to his country of birth.

Not necessarily, the whole "under god" clause, that has caused basically
all of the legal issues in the last few decades, is the result of
McCarthy-era foolishness.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/nat_pled1.htm
Really, he's standing up for his child's rights. Had that clause not
been there, this lawsuit (and other similar ones) would not have even
been brought to court.

Bush invades Iraq (killing thousands of innocents), lies about his
reasons for it, gets caught in his lie, and lies some more. Oh, and
he's currently up for reelection.

You tell me, who'se the traitor?

- Josiah

Terry Reedy

"Josiah Carlson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c4nrgo$a98$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bush invades Iraq (killing thousands of innocents), lies about his
> reasons for it, gets caught in his lie, and lies some more. Oh, and
> he's currently up for reelection.

Josiah, we could also discuss Clinton invading Serbia, killing thousands of
innocents, some intentionally, (to distract attention from his rape of
Juanita Broderick, in my opinion), or flip-flop Kerry consorting with
hate-America Marxist radicals, and his current relation therewith, but I
think it better that we, including you, maintain the political truce that
currently prevails on this newsgroup, which is a unique forum for
discussion Python, and leave such political discussions to more appropriate
fora.

Terry J. Reedy

Josiah Carlson

> think it better that we, including you, maintain the political truce that
> currently prevails on this newsgroup, which is a unique forum for
> discussion Python, and leave such political discussions to more appropriate
> fora.

Sure, sounds good. For someone who is advocating political truce, you
sure loaded your post. Practice what you preach my friend.

- Josiah

Chris Reay

Josiah Carlson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<c4nrgo$a98$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> You tell me, who'se the traitor?
>
> - Josiah

I can't; but I can tell who's grammatically confused, and whose
opinions may also be so.

Terry Reedy

"Josiah Carlson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c4oiq6$1hg$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Sure, sounds good.

Glad we agree. The same issue came up a year ago when a couple of people
posted about Iraq but later agreed to stop.

> For someone who is advocating political truce, you sure loaded your post.

Yes, I intentionally mirrored your statements to illustrate why not to
continue down that road

> Practice what you preach my friend.

I just as intentionally quoted my examples as belief or as what 'might be
said' instead of presenting them syntactically as factual statements.

Terry J. Reedy

Slogan Paddy Python 0 03-26-2006 12:03 PM
Suggestion for a new name, logo and slogan for the Mozilla Suite... Charles Firefox 2 03-12-2005 04:31 AM
Re: Python conference slogan Qp Python 1 04-01-2004 04:25 AM
Slogan: Getting Rich Overnight Christian Tismer Python 15 08-12-2003 03:53 PM
OT: The Advertising Slogan Generator =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?= MCSE 1 08-01-2003 06:32 PM

Advertisments