Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 09:56:21 +0200
From: Miki Tebeka <(E-Mail Removed)>
Subject: Re: ELF object file analysis tool in Python?
To: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Cc: (E-Mail Removed)

Hello John,

> I already googled and only turned up some references dating from 2000.
> Anybody know of any current Python tool that can open up and dissect
> information from an ELF (Executable and Linking Format) object file? I

don't
> care about machine language stuff, but goodies like what sources were used
> in the compile, and what routines are used.

Just parse the output of `objdump -g'. Note that some compiler (such as
MSVC) save the debug information in a different file (.pdb).

HTH.
Miki

Bob Ippolito

I've done this for the Mach-O object file format.. it didn't take me
too long, I can't imagine ELF would be much harder. I actually wrote
mine such that I could read *and write* Mach-O headers, so I could
dynamically inspect and change load commands (used for dependency
walking and distribution stuff).

-bob