Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > wxpython appearance differs after py2exe

wxpython appearance differs after py2exe

Chad Haynes

Hello,

I have a wxPython application that I want to create an executable from.
Using py2exe produces a program that works very well, but the
appearance is slightly different than when it was run from the command
line. The py2exe version is a little more bland. Here are links to
some screenshots:

http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/dos.jpg
http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/py2exe.jpg

I'm runnin winXP, any ideas?

-Chad

Jeff Duffy

Chad Haynes wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a wxPython application that I want to create an executable from.
> Using py2exe produces a program that works very well, but the
> appearance is slightly different than when it was run from the command
> line. The py2exe version is a little more bland. Here are links to
> some screenshots:
>
> http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/dos.jpg
> http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/py2exe.jpg
>
> I'm runnin winXP, any ideas?

I've have the same problem. No solution yet (I'm still poking at it),
but I noticed that the resultant GUI looks more like Win2K, as if
perhaps the widget set that results is always in 'classic mode'. Odd.

Jeff

Mike Rovner

Jeff Duffy wrote:
> Chad Haynes wrote:
>> I'm runnin winXP, any ideas?

copy your .manifest file to a <new .exe name>.manifest

HTH,
Mike

Ivan Voras

Chad Haynes wrote:

> http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/dos.jpg
> http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/py2exe.jpg
>
> I'm runnin winXP, any ideas?

You need the so-called 'XP manifest' - a resource segment in the
executable file that enables the 'XP skinned look'. Try searching the
Google.

Neil Hodgson

Chad Haynes:

> I have a wxPython application that I want to create an executable from.
> Using py2exe produces a program that works very well, but the
> appearance is slightly different than when it was run from the command
> line. The py2exe version is a little more bland. Here are links to
> some screenshots:

To get the Windows XP look you have to include a manifest file or
resource.

Neil

Thomas Heller

Chad Haynes <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have a wxPython application that I want to create an executable
> from. Using py2exe produces a program that works very well, but the
> appearance is slightly different than when it was run from the command
> line. The py2exe version is a little more bland. Here are links to
> some screenshots:
>
> http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/dos.jpg
> http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/py2exe.jpg
>
> I'm runnin winXP, any ideas?

You have to provide a manifest file. This can be a separate file named
<yourapp>.exe.manifest, but it can also be compiled as a resource into
the exe file itself. The py2exe\samples\advanced directory demontrates
how to do this.

Thomas

Wolfgang Strobl

Chad Haynes <(E-Mail Removed)>:

>Hello,
>
>I have a wxPython application that I want to create an executable from.
> Using py2exe produces a program that works very well, but the
>appearance is slightly different than when it was run from the command
>line. The py2exe version is a little more bland. Here are links to
>some screenshots:
>
>http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/dos.jpg
>http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/py2exe.jpg
>
>I'm runnin winXP, any ideas?

I guess your program somehow lost its ability to use the current
version of ComCtl32.dll. The visual style of the Windows XP controls is
implemented in comctl32.dll version 6, which is not distributable. I
just noticed that there is a python.exe.manifest and a
pythonw.exe.manifest in in the python23 distro. Perhaps it is
sufficient to copy one of these to your py2exe dist, renaming it to
<app>.exe.manifest, on the way. Not having done anything with
comctl32 et al for years, I'm just guessing here from an article I've
read on MSDN. But I can't do any harm, so why not just trying it.

--
Thank you for observing all safety precautions

Wolfgang Strobl

Wolfgang Strobl <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> [...] But I can't do any harm, so why not just trying it.

Arg. But _it_ can't do any harm ... It's getting late, sorry.

An afterthought: adding a <app>.manifest would make a nice addition to
py2exe. I'd file a feature request on sourceforge, but, alas, it's
working in read only mode, currently, if it answers at all.

--
Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen

Roger Binns

> > I'm runnin winXP, any ideas?

You need to include the manifest file. This comes up on the wxpython-users
mailing list once a week and there are full details in the archives.

Briefly, copy python.exe.manifest from c:\python23 and place it
alongside your executable, suitably renamed to the same name
as your executable, with a further .manifest extension.

Roger

Robert

Chad Haynes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a wxPython application that I want to create an executable from.
> Using py2exe produces a program that works very well, but the
> appearance is slightly different than when it was run from the command
> line. The py2exe version is a little more bland. Here are links to
> some screenshots:
>
> http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/dos.jpg
> http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/py2exe.jpg
>
> I'm runnin winXP, any ideas?
>
> -Chad

Here is a copy of the manifest I use with eclipse:

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="X86"
name="SWT.javaw" type="win32"/>
<description>Standard Widget Toolkit</description>
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity type="win32"
name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0"
processorArchitecture="X86" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*"/>
</dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
</assembly>