Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > OFF-TOPIC:: Why Lisp is not my favorite programming language

OFF-TOPIC:: Why Lisp is not my favorite programming language

Dale King

"Matthias Felleisen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c24nh3$9it$(E-Mail Removed)...
> nobody wrote:
>
> Lisp has been declared dead for the past N years. Unlike Algol, Simula 67,

PL/I,
> Pascal, ... and many more languages that came and went, it is still alife

and
> kicking.

I really am not getting into the debate over lisp, but the notion that those
other languages are dead is not correct. I'm not sure there is a successful
language invented that has ever truly died. Interest in Simula for example
keeps growing. There is an annual conference for Simula and the attendance
grows every year.

I would bet that there is somebody somewhere still programming in ENIAC
assembly language.

Feel free to name a language that you think is dead and someone will tell
you someplace that it is still in active use.

--
Dale King

Jorge Rivera

> As for me, I would say practically the same things about Java. :-p

Wow, you are comparing a fairly useless language (Lisp) with a powerful
and flexible languange (Java), and would come up with the same arguments
as to why it sucks?

Not that I really care, it is just interesting how your preconceived
notions of Java blind you...

Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de)

Dale King wrote:
> I would bet that there is somebody somewhere still programming in ENIAC
> assembly language.

Did ENIAC *have* an assembler? I thought it was programmed
with a patch panel.

(The word "patch" meant something quite different in those
days...)

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,

Jon A. Cruz

Jorge Rivera wrote:

>> As for me, I would say practically the same things about Java. :-p
>>

> Wow, you are comparing a fairly useless language (Lisp) with a powerful
> and flexible languange (Java), and would come up with the same arguments
> as to why it sucks?

Well, I happen to use that "fairly useless" language daily in working
with Java.

http://jdee.sunsite.dk/

(Sorry, guys. Couldn't resist)

David Shaw

The real question is as to why *Python* isn't your favorite programming language!

- David
// http://david.artoo.net/

Joe Marshall

"Dale King" <kingd[at]tmicha[dot]net> writes:

> Feel free to name a language that you think is dead and someone will tell
> you someplace that it is still in active use.

Focal
FX
Lakota
REBOL 1.x

Mike Nishizawa

These posts are like big huge neon signs that say, "I'm IGNORANT." If
you hold that 1 language is better than all other languages, then you
ARE ignorant. LISP is a parsing language. It's obviously not made to
do the same things that C is. LISP is extremely fast for processing
data files.

C in not an end-all be-all of programming languages, even though it is
quite robust. For instance, C is great if you are going to develop
software for 1 platform. However, if you are developing software for
multiple platforms, Java is a better choice.

Really these discussions boil down to the programmer him/herself, who
is usually the one at fault for poor performance. I'm not quite sure
when this happened, but at some point programmers started relying on
hardware for fast, efficient software and from that point on, the
quality and emphasis placed on writing efficient programs has
diminished. If you want your code to run faster, make it more
efficient... make it use less resources... and use the right language
for the job. Don't try to fit all things under one umbrella because
that language has not been developed yet.

Guillaume <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<40460dd5$0$5916$(E-Mail Removed)-internet.fr>...
> I don't know what this post has to do with comp.lang.c, but whatever.
>
> This was pretty funny nonetheless.
>
> As for me, I would say practically the same things about Java. :-p

Guillaume

> Well, I happen to use that "fairly useless" language daily in working
> with Java.

Hehe, nice.

Jacek Generowicz

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Mike Nishizawa) writes:

> These posts are like big huge neon signs that say, "I'm IGNORANT."

He then goes on to say.

> LISP is a parsing language.

Thereby creating a self referential articrle.

Tim Daneliuk

Mike Nishizawa wrote:

> These posts are like big huge neon signs that say, "I'm IGNORANT." If
> you hold that 1 language is better than all other languages, then you
> ARE ignorant. LISP is a parsing language. It's obviously not made to
> do the same things that C is. LISP is extremely fast for processing
> data files.
>
> C in not an end-all be-all of programming languages, even though it is
> quite robust. For instance, C is great if you are going to develop
> software for 1 platform. However, if you are developing software for
> multiple platforms, Java is a better choice.
>
> Really these discussions boil down to the programmer him/herself, who
> is usually the one at fault for poor performance. I'm not quite sure
> when this happened, but at some point programmers started relying on
> hardware for fast, efficient software and from that point on, the
> quality and emphasis placed on writing efficient programs has
> diminished. If you want your code to run faster, make it more
> efficient... make it use less resources... and use the right language
> for the job. Don't try to fit all things under one umbrella because
> that language has not been developed yet.

http://www.tundraware.com/Technology...ming-Language/

Tim Daneliuk (E-Mail Removed)
PGP Key: http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/