Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: xmlrpclib timeouts

Re: xmlrpclib timeouts

p2esp

>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm using the xmlrpclib module to contact an XMLRPC
>> server that takes a long time to send results back.

My
>> client timeouts.
>>
>> The question is whether there is a way to have an
>> xmlrpclib client that never timeouts. I have been
>> searching for some code examples on how to do that,
>> but I could not find any in the xmlrpclib
>> documentation.
>>
>> Thanks for any hints.

> "Client that never times out" is not a good idea,

generally.
> Nothing in life is certain, but even moreso in

distributed
> systems. Timeouts are there to protect you from all

kinds
> of problem conditions (busy server, crashed
> server, etc.). You really don't want your client to

be in a
> position of waiting for a response that is never

going to
> come.

> Paul

Thank you Paul for your informative message.

I do understand it's not a good idea to do this, and I
will check what you suggest. Nevertheless, I still
want to know: can a "never timeout" client be written
in xmlrpclib?

http://search.yahoo.com

Ross M Karchner

Maybe a timeoutsocket with really long timeout value would do what you want?

http://www.timo-tasi.org/python/timeoutsocket.py

import timeoutsocket
timeoutsocket.setDefaultSocketTimeout(86400) # 24 hours

-Ross

p2esp wrote:

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I'm using the xmlrpclib module to contact an XMLRPC
>>>server that takes a long time to send results back.

> My
>
>>>client timeouts.
>>>
>>>The question is whether there is a way to have an
>>>xmlrpclib client that never timeouts. I have been
>>>searching for some code examples on how to do that,
>>>but I could not find any in the xmlrpclib
>>>documentation.
>>>
>>>Thanks for any hints.

>>"Client that never times out" is not a good idea,

> generally.
>
>>Nothing in life is certain, but even moreso in

> distributed
>
>>systems. Timeouts are there to protect you from all

> kinds
>
>>of problem conditions (busy server, crashed
>>server, etc.). You really don't want your client to

> be in a
>
>>position of waiting for a response that is never

> going to
>
>>come.

>>Paul

> Thank you Paul for your informative message.
>
> I do understand it's not a good idea to do this, and I
> will check what you suggest. Nevertheless, I still
> want to know: can a "never timeout" client be written
> in xmlrpclib?

> Yahoo! Search - Find what you’re looking for faster
> http://search.yahoo.com

forms authentication timeouts and session timeouts =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?= ASP .Net 0 06-22-2004 09:24 AM
xmlrpclib timeouts p2esp Python 2 03-03-2004 05:53 AM
Session-Timeouts and Idle-Timeouts on AS5300 and AS5800 Matt Cisco 1 02-17-2004 06:59 PM
xmlrpclib sashan Python 0 10-19-2003 12:57 AM
xmlrpclib/timeoutsocket not happy together in 2.3 Larry Python 0 09-16-2003 07:30 PM

Advertisments