Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Concatenated numerical literals

Concatenated numerical literals

Per Erik Stendahl

Hi,

I wish I could write large integers (and floats, etc) like
this in Python:

Kind of the same way I can write string literals today.
(As in 'This' 'is' 'one' 'string'.)

Has there been any discussion on this? I find myself wishing
for this at least once a week, since it really helps readability.
It doesn't seem like a big implementation either.

Any comments?

Regards,
Per Erik Stendahl,
Uppsala, Sweden

Larry Bates

I took a function that I wrote to format floats with
commas and currency symbol and hacked it a little to make
it work with your spaces. You should be able to take it
and with little modifications make it work for you.

-Larry

def fmt_currency(amount):
import types, string
'''
This function will take the number passed to it and format it as US
Currency with floating $ sign, comma separators and two decimal places
'''
thousands_sep=" "
currency="$"
#
# Check to see if I got a number or a string
#
if type(amount) == types.StringType:
#
# Check to see if I got an empty string, return $0.00
#
if amount == '': amount=0
else: amount=string.atof(amount)

temp="%.2f" % amount
outstring=temp[len(temp)-4:]
if len(temp)==4: return currency+outstring
digits=list(temp[0:len(temp)-4])
digits.reverse()
#print digits
cpos=1
for c in digits:
outstring=c+outstring
cpos=cpos+1
if cpos%3 == 0: outstring=thousands_sep+outstring
#
# Check to see if comma is first character of the formatted string
# if it is strip it off.
#
if outstring.startswith(thousands_sep): outstring=outstring[1:]
return currency+outstring

if __name__=="__main__":
print fmt_currency(0.12)
print fmt_currency(123.45)
print fmt_currency(123456789.01)

"Per Erik Stendahl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I wish I could write large integers (and floats, etc) like
> this in Python:

> Kind of the same way I can write string literals today.
> (As in 'This' 'is' 'one' 'string'.)
>
> Has there been any discussion on this? I find myself wishing
> for this at least once a week, since it really helps readability.
> It doesn't seem like a big implementation either.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Regards,
> Per Erik Stendahl,
> Uppsala, Sweden

Java: byte literals and short literals John Goche Java 8 01-17-2006 11:12 PM
Form variable concatenated Shabam HTML 2 09-16-2005 12:08 AM
weird behavior of algbraic evaluation in concatenated operators dejan budimir C++ 6 07-04-2004 08:41 AM
Converting STS-12C Tributary to AU4 Concatenated on Line Side CHANGE USERNAME TO westes Cisco 0 06-04-2004 09:50 AM
Executing a Concatenated String dh ASP .Net 0 07-17-2003 08:13 PM

Advertisments