Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Auxiliary VLAN V VLan

Auxiliary VLAN V VLan

Neil Rowland

Is the main difference between Aux VLAN and a standard VLAN the ability to
send CDP messages to an ip phone with its COS/VLAN ID.

Phil Dotchon

The auxiliary Vlan is just another Vlan, CDP is (I believe) carried in Vlan
1 on an 802.1q trunk. The point is that CDP is used to tell the phone which
Vlan to use for voice traffic, this is the purpose of the Aux vlan- to keep
voice and data traffic separate. QoS can still be used even without a
separate voice Vlan, it's just neater and more secure to use a separate,
auxiliary Vlan for voice.

Cheers,

--
Phil Dotchon