Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Plotting modules

Plotting modules

DG

I'm interesting in finding the ultimate cross-platform python plotting
module. So far I've used scipy.gplt and biggles which both have
disadvantages. There is no python 2.3 binary package for biggles in
windows, and scipy.gplt doesn't seem to work with MacMillan's installer
in Windows. I haven't tried py2exe yet.

I need a plotting program this is:
-Cross platform (linux and windows) and can build into binary form, or
easy to install form on linux and windows.
-Hopefully still maintained (unlike biggles)
-Easy to use (like scipy.gplt)

I wasn't that impressing with the Gnuplot python module, and I haven't
tried scipy.plt or chaco yet.

Alternatively, if someone can tell me some way that I can package my
code so that others in Windows can run it. I just don't want other
people to have to download python, Numeric, scipy, and biggles, for
example, just to get my code to run. But if I could easily package all
that stuff into one, that would be fine, although the installer would be
huge.

David

Paxcal

You may want to try wxPyPlot wich is at:
http://www.cyberus.ca/~g_will/wxPython/wxpyplot.html
It only depends on numeric and wxPython... and =) has a Boa Constructor (
http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/ ) plug-in wich is a great feature
for me.
It laks many of the features that are found in scipy.gplt but itīs fast and
py2exe compatible.

Regards...

Paxcal

"DG" <(E-Mail Removed)> escreveu na mensagem
news:c1m6vd$sij$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm interesting in finding the ultimate cross-platform python plotting
> module. So far I've used scipy.gplt and biggles which both have
> disadvantages. There is no python 2.3 binary package for biggles in
> windows, and scipy.gplt doesn't seem to work with MacMillan's installer
> in Windows. I haven't tried py2exe yet.
>
> I need a plotting program this is:
> -Cross platform (linux and windows) and can build into binary form, or
> easy to install form on linux and windows.
> -Hopefully still maintained (unlike biggles)
> -Easy to use (like scipy.gplt)
>
> I wasn't that impressing with the Gnuplot python module, and I haven't
> tried scipy.plt or chaco yet.
>
> Alternatively, if someone can tell me some way that I can package my
> code so that others in Windows can run it. I just don't want other
> people to have to download python, Numeric, scipy, and biggles, for
> example, just to get my code to run. But if I could easily package all
> that stuff into one, that would be fine, although the installer would be
> huge.
>
> David

Jeremy Sanders

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:36:45 -0500, DG wrote:

> I need a plotting program this is:
> -Cross platform (linux and windows) and can build into binary form, or
> easy to install form on linux and windows.
> -Hopefully still maintained (unlike biggles)
> -Easy to use (like scipy.gplt)

I'm working on a PyQt-based plotting package called Veusz
http://home.gna.org/veusz/ (not really ready for use yet).

Unfortunately AFAIK, there is no Free Edition of Qt for Windows, so it
wouldn't be cross-platform enough for you.

Jeremy

John Hunter

You may want to look at matplotlib -
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net. You can embed it in a number of
GUIs (Wx, GTK and Tk) or use it simply for image generation. Tk is in
CVS and will be released next week.

DG> Cross platform (linux and windows) and can build into binary
DG> form, or easy to install form on linux and windows.

All releases have windows installers. Easy build on linux (python
setup.py install)

DG> Hopefully still maintained (unlike biggles)

Very actively, by yours truly

DG> Easy to use (like scipy.gplt)

You may want to check out the tutorial, to see if it looks easy for
you - http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/tutorial.html

I use matplotlib in applications that run on windows and linux. I
haven't tried to package it up into a single all inclusive installer,
eg, py2exe or McMillan, however, so I can't give you any information
there.

John Hunter

DG

Jeremy Sanders wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:36:45 -0500, DG wrote:
>

>>I need a plotting program this is:
>>-Cross platform (linux and windows) and can build into binary form, or
>>easy to install form on linux and windows.
>>-Hopefully still maintained (unlike biggles)
>>-Easy to use (like scipy.gplt)

> I'm working on a PyQt-based plotting package called Veusz
> http://home.gna.org/veusz/ (not really ready for use yet).
>
> Unfortunately AFAIK, there is no Free Edition of Qt for Windows, so it
> wouldn't be cross-platform enough for you.

Nice output. Looks almost biggles-ish, maybe better.

Dave

srijit@yahoo.com

Hello David,
You may try matplotlib, dislin and wxpyplot. I guess matplotlib +
wxpython should suffice. Check it out!

Regards,
Srijit

DG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<c1m6vd$sij$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I'm interesting in finding the ultimate cross-platform python plotting
> module. So far I've used scipy.gplt and biggles which both have
> disadvantages. There is no python 2.3 binary package for biggles in
> windows, and scipy.gplt doesn't seem to work with MacMillan's installer
> in Windows. I haven't tried py2exe yet.
>
> I need a plotting program this is:
> -Cross platform (linux and windows) and can build into binary form, or
> easy to install form on linux and windows.
> -Hopefully still maintained (unlike biggles)
> -Easy to use (like scipy.gplt)
>
> I wasn't that impressing with the Gnuplot python module, and I haven't
> tried scipy.plt or chaco yet.
>
> Alternatively, if someone can tell me some way that I can package my
> code so that others in Windows can run it. I just don't want other
> people to have to download python, Numeric, scipy, and biggles, for
> example, just to get my code to run. But if I could easily package all
> that stuff into one, that would be fine, although the installer would be
> huge.
>
> David

Jeremy Sanders

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:34:48 -0500, DG wrote:

> Nice output. Looks almost biggles-ish, maybe better.

Thanks. I'll inform people here when it's in a workable state.

Jeremy