Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Pure Python HTTPS Server

Re: Pure Python HTTPS Server

Trevor Perrin

Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Trevor Perrin) writes:
> > > Did you ever look at the key management scheme I circulated a while
> > > back? Is it the kind of thing anyone cares about?

> [...]
> http://www.nightsong.com/phr/crypto/crypto.txt

I like the ideas about key protection. It's a higher-level API then I
have a need for, though. I'd just like to see a few fast primitives
in stdlib.

> > (aside from ciphers and RNGs, the other thing on my wish-list is
> > faster modular exponentiation.. Python use a simple right-to-left
> > square-and-multiply. I'm no expert here, but I think it would be
> > pretty easy to make that a few times faster for crypto sized numbers.
> > tlslite's handshaking, in python code, is ~5x slower than OpenSSL
> > right now..)

> Use gmpy, http://gmpy.sf.net

That's another couple modules users have to install though (GMPY and
GMP). I was thinking the current pow() implementation could be
optimized a bit.

Trevor

Paul Rubin

(E-Mail Removed) (Trevor Perrin) writes:
> > Use gmpy, http://gmpy.sf.net

> That's another couple modules users have to install though (GMPY and
> GMP). I was thinking the current pow() implementation could be
> optimized a bit.

My lib is written to use gmpy when it's available and the default
stuff if "import gmpy" fails. The default stuff is fast enough on
current desktop cpu's for most client side applications that I can
think of. For a server app, you always want more speed, but asking
someone to install GMP (if it's not already present) is less onerous.
GMP is included by default in a lot of GNU/Linux distros.

Trevor Perrin

Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Trevor Perrin) writes:
> > > Use gmpy, http://gmpy.sf.net

> > That's another couple modules users have to install though (GMPY and
> > GMP). I was thinking the current pow() implementation could be
> > optimized a bit.

> My lib is written to use gmpy when it's available and the default
> stuff if "import gmpy" fails. The default stuff is fast enough on
> current desktop cpu's for most client side applications that I can
> think of. For a server app, you always want more speed, but asking
> someone to install GMP (if it's not already present) is less onerous.

Good points and good advice, thanks. Depending on key size, this
gives me a 3-6x speedup in handshaking.

Trevor

server side redirect https => https NOT working Axel ASP General 8 04-27-2009 02:02 AM
Pure space directly inside div ignored, but pure space directlyinside span honored liketofindoutwhy@gmail.com HTML 4 03-29-2008 06:06 PM
https pure java DrChaos Java 2 10-15-2006 01:46 AM
Pure functions still pure after definition Todd Aspeotis C++ 3 05-30-2005 03:53 AM
Pure Python HTTPS Server Mikey At Work Python 10 02-29-2004 09:45 AM

Advertisments