Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > RE: Nostalgic instruction sequences (Re: Python Productivity Gain?)

RE: Nostalgic instruction sequences (Re: Python Productivity Gain?)

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy)

> From: Gordon Airport
>
> > SETW 0 a9f4
> > G 0
> >
> > anyone? (memory said a9f0 first, corrected by google).
> >
> > Cheers,
> > mwh

> I used someting similar to his to hack Macintoshes in high
> school: SM 0
> a9f4, G 0, entered at the magic h4X0r prompt. I have no idea
> what it's
> actually doing, but you could bypass At Ease with it

Ah - I knew a9f4 was familiar. It was 'ExitToShell' (IIRC).

So you were setting memory location 0 to the address of 'ExitToShell' using Macsbug, then executing that function. The result was to kill the current application.

Fun stuff.

Tim Delaney

Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de)

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) wrote:
> So you were setting memory location 0 to the address of 'ExitToShell' using Macsbug,

Or the built-in monitor that you got when MacsBug
wasn't installed.

A MacsBug command I remember using a lot on my
Mac Plus went something like

DM DFFFFF1F

I can't remember the exact number. My only record
of it was written on a box of stick-on labels that
I kept, long after it was empty, in a strategic place
on my desk. Recently I threw it out, only remembering
its significance afterward. Not that it really mattered,
since it didn't work on any model later than a Mac
Plus anyway.

Oh, what did it do? Another virtual chocolate fish
is on offer for answering that...

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,

Michael Hudson

"Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de)" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) wrote:
> > So you were setting memory location 0 to the address of
> > 'ExitToShell' using Macsbug,

> Or the built-in monitor that you got when MacsBug
> wasn't installed.

Indeed; when MacsBug was installed you typed "es" (I think).

I don't recall using the A-trap trick to get out of my crashed
application actually working very often.

How I miss old versions of Mac OS... not at all, actually.

> A MacsBug command I remember using a lot on my
> Mac Plus went something like
>
> DM DFFFFF1F
>
> I can't remember the exact number. My only record
> of it was written on a box of stick-on labels that
> I kept, long after it was empty, in a strategic place
> on my desk. Recently I threw it out, only remembering
> its significance afterward. Not that it really mattered,
> since it didn't work on any model later than a Mac
> Plus anyway.
>
> Oh, what did it do? Another virtual chocolate fish
> is on offer for answering that...

Pff, no idea. My (parents') first Mac ran System 7...

I was somewhat startled to notice that when I installed MacsBug on my
parents' newer Mac, there were COLOURS! What is the world coming to?

Cheers,
mwh

--
TRSDOS: Friendly old lizard. Or, at least, content to sit there
eating flies. -- Jim's pedigree of operating systems, asr