Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > WAN technologies are confusing....

WAN technologies are confusing....

ike lozada

Hi experts,

please feel free to correct and add additional basic info to my
outline below in regards to wide area networking...?

frame relay is packet switched while a private line is a dedicated
line (can be wireless or wired) ..correct? so is a point to point the
same as dedicated line? when to use VPN? are there any other
technologies aside from those listed below that was missed?

I'm looking for just basic info that can be discussed with management
in regards to choosing an ISP and what technologies are available...

TIA

Leased line

A. Fixed wireless
1. Microwave
Frame-relay
Private line (either to public internet or one point to another)
VPN
Point to point
ISDN
2. satellite
frame-relay
private line
VPN
Point to point
ISDN
B. Copper
Frame-relay
ISDN
Private line (either to public internet or one point to another)
VPN
Point to point

C.Fiber
Frame-relay
ISDN
Private line (either to public internet or one point
to another)
VPN
Point to point

D. Dsl
Adsl

Sdsl

Xdsl

E. CABLE internet

rowl

> so is a point to point the
> same as dedicated line?

Generally when one refers to dedicated, it means from your office
branch to other branch without touching the Internet. However both
"dedicated" and your connection to the Internet is also point-to-point
- upto a point really (pardon the pun). So always use the phrase
"dedicated" to be more accurate.

> technologies aside from those listed below that was missed?

You missed Telepathy ... but don't recommend that to the management
yet ...

> I'm looking for just basic info that can be discussed with management
> in regards to choosing an ISP and what technologies are available...
>
> TIA

Heres your list edited for consistency
A.
> 1. Dedicated/Private line (Copper/Fiber)
> 2. Internet leased Line
> 3. ISDN BRI Dialup
> 4. ISDN BRI permanent (No call charges;Check with your ISP)

B.
> Fixed wireless
> 1. Microwave
>
> 2. satellite
> Dedicated/Private (Frame-relay)

Internet Gateway
C.
> Dsl
> Adsl
> > Hdsl (recommended)

D.
> CABLE internet **Not a good option for office use**

when to use VPN?
If you get an Internet leased line via copper or otherwise, and want
to encrypt your communication so that no-one else can see it or use
authenticated communication then you can consider VPNs. Frame-relay is
commonly called VPN service although strictly it does not serve the
purpose when assured security is desired.

Rgrds
Rahul Sawarkar

ike lozada

Hi,

I don't understand what you meant by "consistency", I actually got
even more confused when you edited them...

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (ike lozada) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hi,
>
> I don't understand what you meant by "consistency", I actually got
> even more confused when you edited them...
>

> > Heres your list edited for consistency
> > A.
> > > 1. Dedicated/Private line (Copper/Fiber)
> > > 2. Internet leased Line
> > > 3. ISDN BRI Dialup
> > > 4. ISDN BRI permanent (No call charges;Check with your ISP)

> B.
> > > Fixed wireless
> > > 1. Microwave
> > >
> > > 2. satellite
> > > Dedicated/Private (Frame-relay)

> > Internet Gateway
> > C.
> > > Dsl
> > > Adsl
> > >

> D.
> > > CABLE internet **Not a good option for office use**

Yep ! Thats my kinda consistency... Go Figure ...

Re: Dual WAN on a 2651, NAT inside, opening one port on the seconday WAN Martin Gallagher Cisco 0 11-27-2012 09:27 AM
PIX 501 - 2 WAN Connections, how to route certain IPs to the 2nd WAN Casper Cisco 1 08-17-2007 08:17 PM
Call for Papers: June 26 - 29 - Special Track on Wireless Technologies and Digital Cities - SAM'06 Nitin Gupta Wireless Networking 0 12-29-2005 06:12 PM
Ethernet WAN and not WAN. AM Cisco 1 05-23-2005 11:45 PM
Need to securely connect workstations on another WAN to my WAN kev Cisco 4 11-17-2003 01:55 AM

Advertisments