Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Thoughts about Python

Re: Thoughts about Python

Terry Reedy

"b-blochl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> <Marco Aschwanden> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed): "Thoughts about Python"

> I find your Thoughts about Python very interesting and valuable. I agree
> in many of your arguments.

He mostly presented not arguments but unsupported ideas. Most are based on
misunderstandings with obvious flaws to experienced Pythoneers.

> I would recommend you to post your thoughts directly to
> (E-Mail Removed).

NO! Do not do this. Guido is already way too busy to have such stuff
imposed on him.
Posting here was exactly the right thing to do.

>Guido is the source for a possible change.

Actually most ideas come from someone else. Small fixes and changes often
get approved by one of the other developers. Important decisions by Guido
require a PEP or patch and usually discussion on the developers list.

Terry J. Reedy

Marco Aschwanden

> > I find your Thoughts about Python very interesting and valuable. I agree
> > in many of your arguments.

> He mostly presented not arguments but unsupported ideas. Most are based on
> misunderstandings with obvious flaws to experienced Pythoneers.

I cannot rule out misunderstandings and yes, I cannot see obvious
flaws (still can't, but I obviously have to read through all the
material to get answers). I do admit, that my "thoughts/ideas" may
have implications on the interpreter/language I cannot assess.

> > I would recommend you to post your thoughts directly to
> > (E-Mail Removed).

> NO! Do not do this. Guido is already way too busy to have such stuff
> imposed on him.
> Posting here was exactly the right thing to do.
>
> >Guido is the source for a possible change.

I won't, don't be scared.

Obviously my "ideas/thoughts" are MY "personal problem" with Python as
I understand the comments so far and I must first learn more Python
before I can state things that disturbed me while learning...

Greetings from a Python-learner,
Marco

Terry Reedy

"Marco Aschwanden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> How many "object oriented" languages do you know ...

Python is object-based and allows its flavor of object-oriented
programming, but it is not restrictively objected-oriented way that Java
and some other languages are. One can write Python programs, even fairly
large programs, with modules, statements, and functions, without ever using
the class statement.

> Obviously my "ideas/thoughts" are MY "personal problem" with Python as
> I understand the comments so far and I must first learn more Python
> before I can state things that disturbed me while learning...

It is one thing to ask questions, another to express opinions, and a third
to dogmatically present opinions and preferences as facts and shoulds.
Perhaps you did more of the third than you intended.

Terry J. Reedy

Marco Aschwanden

"Terry Reedy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Marco Aschwanden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
> > How many "object oriented" languages do you know ...

> Python is object-based and allows its flavor of object-oriented
> programming, but it is not restrictively objected-oriented way that Java
> and some other languages are. One can write Python programs, even fairly
> large programs, with modules, statements, and functions, without ever using
> the class statement.
>
> > Obviously my "ideas/thoughts" are MY "personal problem" with Python as
> > I understand the comments so far and I must first learn more Python
> > before I can state things that disturbed me while learning...

> It is one thing to ask questions, another to express opinions, and a third
> to dogmatically present opinions and preferences as facts and shoulds.
> Perhaps you did more of the third than you intended.
>
> Terry J. Reedy

I agree. Sorry for that.
Marco