Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > re: Python Productivity Gain?

re: Python Productivity Gain?

Dave Brueck

kbass wrote:
> IMHO, the overall productivity gain of any programming language comes from
> the programmers that are programming in the language. Productivity gain
> comes from individuals and is not language based.

Really? As in, you'll be just as productive programming in pure assembly as you
would in Python?

I'd go the complete other direction and say that a lot of productivity gains
_can_ come from the programmer (talent/aptitude, etc), but a huge amount of it
can come from the language itself (likewise, the language itself can be a huge
productivity loss).

Consider, for example, how powerful it is to have a builtin mapping type
(Python's dictionary) or all the list functionality. I don't care if you're the
world's greatest BASIC programmer, odds are that even a novice Pythonista can
run circles around you if you are both tasked with solving a problem to which
dictionaries or lists are well-suited.

-Dave

simo

It's interesting that most of us have shared a similar "language
path".

Personally mine is [mainly]:

BBC BASIC (the best BASIC, dont' get me started on QBasic/VB!)
ARM Assembly (damn, no divide, but bloody fast)
Perl (my preciousssss)
PHP (nice DB stuff, bloody slow though)
Java (way too trendy for me, and slow)
C (nice and low level)
C++ (actually prefer C, C++ seems to hold you hand too much)
C# (too much like J++ or ASP)
Python (GUI stuff is sooo easy!)

So my current favourites are Perl for CGI and Python for
cross-platform, scriptable-GUI stuff.

Cameron Laird

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
simo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
.
.
.
>So my current favourites are Perl for CGI and Python for
>cross-platform, scriptable-GUI stuff.

What are Perl's advantages for CGI? Is the Perl language intrinsically
superior for that work, or do you favor the convenience of specific
libraries, or do you mean something different by "CGI" than what I have
in mind, or ...?
--

Cameron Laird <(E-Mail Removed)>
Business: http://www.Phaseit.net

Paul Rubin

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Cameron Laird) writes:
> >So my current favourites are Perl for CGI and Python for
> >cross-platform, scriptable-GUI stuff.

> What are Perl's advantages for CGI? Is the Perl language intrinsically
> superior for that work, or do you favor the convenience of specific
> libraries, or do you mean something different by "CGI" than what I have
> in mind, or ...?

Perl has a much deeper set of runtime packages available through CPAN,
including stuff like Perl-DBI. The Perl language also has a nifty
"tainting" feature, which helps catch security bugs. Maybe something
like that can be added to PyPy (the new Python implementation under
development) sometime.