Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > building Python under Services for Unix (SFU)

building Python under Services for Unix (SFU)

Rich Krauter

>(I am aware that there is a Windows version of
Python. >But it expects the
>Windows syntax for paths, not the Unix/SFU paths.

And >for all I know there
>are other incompatibilities as well.)

Do you have to use SFU for some reason? If not, try
cygwin - see http://www.cygwin.com. You don't have to
build python from sources (just make sure python is
selected during the install process), and you can
install lots of other things sfu doesn't include.

Rich

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

Mike Maxwell

Rich Krauter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Do you have to use SFU for some reason? If not, try
> cygwin ...

I had moved to SFU from CygWin, thinking there might be an advantage
(speed, NFS access, etc.) In the end, I decided the disadvantages
(not having a Python that used the unix-style directory structure,
lack of some other utilities I depended on) outweighed whatever
advantages there might be, and reverted to CygWin.

I think the moral of the story for Microsoft is that they have some
work to do to make SFU a competitor. At least that's my view; I may
be missing something.

Mike Maxwell