Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > communicating with Java (from Python)

communicating with Java (from Python)

Max Ischenko

Hi,

I want to communicate my Python application with the Java one.
The most obvious choice is XML-RPC, but ... I wonder about something
more pythonic and powerful, like pyro.

Could you suggest something?

Using Jython to be able to use pyro is not technically feasible.

.... A scientist builds in order to learn; an engineer learns in order to
build.
-- FRED BROOKS

Harry George

Max Ischenko <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I want to communicate my Python application with the Java one.
> The most obvious choice is XML-RPC, but ... I wonder about something
> more pythonic and powerful, like pyro.
>
> Could you suggest something?
>
> Using Jython to be able to use pyro is not technically feasible.
>
> ... A scientist builds in order to learn; an engineer learns in order
> to build.
> -- FRED BROOKS

There was a thread to this topic a few weeks ago and XML-RPC came up
as the best bet, even for on-the-same-box communication.

I'd really like to try JPE:
http://jpe.sourceforge.net/
When I tried to run it, I couldn't get the pieces to compile (it's
been a while so I don't remember details).

6-6M31 Knowledge Management
Phone: (425) 342-5601

Lee Harr

> I want to communicate my Python application with the Java one.
> The most obvious choice is XML-RPC, but ... I wonder about something
> more pythonic and powerful, like pyro.
>
> Could you suggest something?
>
> Using Jython to be able to use pyro is not technically feasible.

I know some work has been done porting twisted's perspective broker
(PB) to java. That could be an interesting way to go.

Max Ischenko

Harry George wrote:
>>I want to communicate my Python application with the Java one.
>>The most obvious choice is XML-RPC, but ... I wonder about something
>>more pythonic and powerful, like pyro.

> There was a thread to this topic a few weeks ago and XML-RPC came up
> as the best bet, even for on-the-same-box communication.

OK, thanks.

Duncan Grisby

In article <c0a1tu$vue$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Max Ischenko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I want to communicate my Python application with the Java one.
>The most obvious choice is XML-RPC, but ... I wonder about something
>more pythonic and powerful, like pyro.

Depending on how complex your problem is, CORBA may be a sensible
choice. If your communication needs map easily to XML-RPC, I'd go with
that. On the other hand, if you find yourself having to explicitly
manage lots of state, to make up for the lack of objects in an RPC
system, CORBA is a good choice. It is a full object oriented system
like pyro, just standardised and cross platform.

Cheers,

Duncan.

--
-- Duncan Grisby --