Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > GBIC module to drive 100Base over fibre

GBIC module to drive 100Base over fibre

Edmunde Lee

Hey guys,

Forgive me if this sounds a little odd, but I've been asked to see if
I can come up with a solution for this particular problem.

In a nutshell, I have a few fibre optic cables, multimode, that are
too long to drive gigabit (from what I've been told.. not my idea).
One solution to try to get as much bandwidth through these lines is to
drive 100Base over them.

Is it possible to buy GBIC modules that will drive 100Base over fibre?

The plan is to aggregate a few of these multimode lines together, with
each of them driving 100Base.

Does this make sense?

Find a proper GBIC that would do this would be best, a NIC that drove
100Base over fibre would be an alternative.

Any info would be appreciated.

Ivan Ostres

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> Hey guys,
>
> Forgive me if this sounds a little odd, but I've been asked to see if
> I can come up with a solution for this particular problem.
>
> In a nutshell, I have a few fibre optic cables, multimode, that are
> too long to drive gigabit (from what I've been told.. not my idea).
> One solution to try to get as much bandwidth through these lines is to
> drive 100Base over them.
>
> Is it possible to buy GBIC modules that will drive 100Base over fibre?

IMHO, not possible since GBIC can run only gigabit (and 10 Gig). Which
fibers do you have? How much power loss? How long are they?

Maybe if you couldn't drive Gig, you could use converters for 100 Mbit
ethernet to optical or something..

--
Ivan

Hansang Bae

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hey guys,
>
> Forgive me if this sounds a little odd, but I've been asked to see if
> I can come up with a solution for this particular problem.
>
> In a nutshell, I have a few fibre optic cables, multimode, that are
> too long to drive gigabit (from what I've been told.. not my idea).
> One solution to try to get as much bandwidth through these lines is to
> drive 100Base over them.
> Is it possible to buy GBIC modules that will drive 100Base over fibre?

Not that I know of. All GBICs I know run at 1000Mbps (hence the "G" in
GBIC)

> The plan is to aggregate a few of these multimode lines together, with
> each of them driving 100Base.
> Does this make sense?
> Find a proper GBIC that would do this would be best, a NIC that drove
> 100Base over fibre would be an alternative.
> Any info would be appreciated.

Why not just run 100Mps over it using a plain ol' fiber optic Xceiver?

--

hsb

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Edmunde Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:In a nutshell, I have a few fibre optic cables, multimode, that are
:too long to drive gigabit (from what I've been told.. not my idea).

How long are they? Some of the Cisco GBIC products go beyond the
standard 220m. For example, up to 500 m on 50 um multimode for the
1-Gbps-SW, LC SFP on
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800c465e.html
--
'ignorandus (Latin): "deserving not to be known"'
-- Journal of Self-Referentialism

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Edmunde Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:In a nutshell, I have a few fibre optic cables, multimode, that are
:too long to drive gigabit (from what I've been told.. not my idea).
:One solution to try to get as much bandwidth through these lines is to
:drive 100Base over them.

Are the multimode cables FDDI grade? If so, then you can push further:

http://www.mrv.com/product/MRV-FD-GMX/

--
Caution: A subset of the statements in this message may be
tautologically true.

chris@nospam.com

On 5 Apr 2004 17:43:30 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter
Roberson) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
>Edmunde Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>:In a nutshell, I have a few fibre optic cables, multimode, that are
>:too long to drive gigabit (from what I've been told.. not my idea).
>
>How long are they? Some of the Cisco GBIC products go beyond the
>standard 220m. For example, up to 500 m on 50 um multimode for the
>1-Gbps-SW, LC SFP on
>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800c465e.html

For multimode the distance limitation is determined by the modal
bandwidth property of the fiber. 50u is about 500m, and 62.5 is
260-something. You should probably check with the cable manf for the
specs of the cable.

Single mode cable distance limits are determined by power loss over
the cabling, transmit power, and receive sensitivity. I have a pair
of Cisco LX modules running gigabit over 11 miles with about 3 dB of
headroom of laser power. Hasn't even hiccupped in 3 years.

Best bet is using cheap 100-meg copper to fiber converters at either
end.

-Chris