Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > newbie: "File Buffered" Text widget

newbie: "File Buffered" Text widget

Christian Jauvin

Hello,

I need a "File Buffered" Text widget (in Tkinter), that
is a window over a buffered text file which would behave
as if the entire file was loaded in memory (permitting
the user to browse huge corpora text files).

Before writing one from scratch, I would like to be sure
that there is no such thing available somewhere.

Thanks!

Josiah Carlson

> I need a "File Buffered" Text widget (in Tkinter), that
> is a window over a buffered text file which would behave
> as if the entire file was loaded in memory (permitting
> the user to browse huge corpora text files).
>
> Before writing one from scratch, I would like to be sure
> that there is no such thing available somewhere.

Creating your own read-only widget shouldn't be too difficult. Creating
your own read-write widget would be a bit more difficult. I would offer
to write a wxPython read-only one (it would take like 10 minutes), but
you're looking for Tkinter, so nevermind.

- Josiah