Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: keynote speaker, PyCon Reminder: Early bird reg deadline 2/1

Re: keynote speaker, PyCon Reminder: Early bird reg deadline 2/1

John Benson

My curiosity has been greatly piqued to see that

"DC 2004 will be held March 24-26, 2004 in Washington, D.C. The keynote
speaker is Mitch Kapor of the Open Source Applications Foundation
(http://www.osafoundation.org/). "

Isn't Kapor the Lotus guy that tried to quash Borlands Quattro Pro because
it offered an alternative Lotus-user-friendly menuing structure? (see
http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Copyright/copyright.html)

And who also claimed that "it is my heartfelt belief that many of the
increasing number of recently issued software patents, concerning, for
instance, fundamental techniques and artifacts of user interfaces, should
never have been granted in the first place because of their failure to
qualify as either novel or non-obvious. Some patents appear to preempt
automation of common functions such as footnoting. This to me is like
allowing a patent on the round steering wheel."
(http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/tek1/...tent_kapor.htm)

I'm experiencing some severe cognitive dissonance here. Can anybody help?

Terry Reedy

"John Benson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My curiosity has been greatly piqued to see that
>
> "DC 2004 will be held March 24-26, 2004 in Washington, D.C. The keynote
> speaker is Mitch Kapor of the Open Source Applications Foundation
> (http://www.osafoundation.org/). "
>
> Isn't Kapor the Lotus guy that tried to quash Borlands Quattro Pro

because
> it offered an alternative Lotus-user-friendly menuing structure? (see
> http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Copyright/copyright.html)
>
> And who also claimed that "it is my heartfelt belief that many of the
> increasing number of recently issued software patents, concerning, for
> instance, fundamental techniques and artifacts of user interfaces, should
> never have been granted in the first place because of their failure to
> qualify as either novel or non-obvious. Some patents appear to preempt
> automation of common functions such as footnoting. This to me is like
> allowing a patent on the round steering wheel."
> (http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/tek1/...tent_kapor.htm)
>
> I'm experiencing some severe cognitive dissonance here. Can anybody help?

I am pretty sure the second item (statement) came several years after the
first. Sometimes people learn from experience and mistakes. I have.

tjr

Aahz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
John Benson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Isn't Kapor the Lotus guy that tried to quash Borlands Quattro Pro because
>it offered an alternative Lotus-user-friendly menuing structure? (see
>http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Copyright/copyright.html)

According to http://www.kapor.com/homepages/mkapor/bio0701.htm :

He founded Lotus Development Corp. in 1982 and with Jonathan Sachs,
who was responsible for technical architecture and implementation,
created Lotus 1-2-3. He served as the President (later Chairman) and
Chief Executive Officer of Lotus from 1982 to 1986 and as a Director
until 1987.

According to http://www.lgu.com/publications/softcopy/20.shtml

Lotus began in early 1987 by filing suit in federal court in
Massachusetts against Paperback Software and Mosaic Software, two
so-called Lotus "clone" developers. These companies had published
programs which copied the Lotus 1-2-3 command sequence virtually word
for word. The cases were assigned to Judge Robert Keeton.

So it's not clear to what extent, if any, Kapor was responsible for
these legal shenanigans.

A: No.
Q: Is top-posting okay?