Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco catalyst 2950-24 and three vlan's

Cisco catalyst 2950-24 and three vlan's

KSa

Hi,
I have a Cisco Catalyst 2950/24-port switch and I would like to create 3
vlans on this switch, I want three networks that are separate and unable to
see each other, that are all using the same server which is connected to the
switch port 1 (vlan1 I suppose) . Could you tell me how to do this and if
you have a syntax/commands how to do this, I really appreciate it. I have
look this on sun web-site but cannot understand all those commands because
I'm a rookie with ciscos switch.
Thanks your co-operation.
regards, Kim

Walter Roberson

In article <c4kmpr$ism$(E-Mail Removed)>,
KSa <student_frodo .POISTA @ NOSPAM. yahoo.com .invalid> wrote:
:I have a Cisco Catalyst 2950/24-port switch and I would like to create 3
:vlans on this switch, I want three networks that are separate and unable to
:see each other, that are all using the same server which is connected to the
:switch port 1 (vlan1 I suppose) .

In order to do that, you would have to set a port up as a 'trunk' port
that carried all three VLANs, and the NIC on the server would have to
be VLAN aware and have multiple addresses. NICs that are VLAN aware
-can- be found, but there are still many servers that don't support them.
It is sometimes easier to put 3 different NICs in the same server and
connect them to three different ports on the 2950 with one VLAN going
to each port.

:Could you tell me how to do this and if
:you have a syntax/commands how to do this, I really appreciate it. I have
:look this on sun web-site but cannot understand all those commands because
:I'm a rookie with ciscos switch.

Is it a Sun Solaris system that you are attempting to hook up in this
manner?
--
Suppose there was a test you could take that would report whether
you had Free Will or were Pre-Destined. Would you take the test?