Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > [Q] Pyython and curses/ncurses/snack/tinter/...

[Q] Pyython and curses/ncurses/snack/tinter/...

Chris Burkert

Hi

I want to write a little application for the shell with a
userinterface that is not line based. Think of the UI of mc for
example. And I want to use Python on different Operating Systems.
So it should be portable.

Now what would you prefer as UI-library? I'm searching for a
highlevel library with buttons, text boxes, dialog boxes,
progress bars, ...

I have heard of:
- curses, ncurses ... low-level
- snack ... wrapper for newt and slang
- tinter

Do you know of any other good library that is widely available?

I have seen a lot of examples for curses and ncurses but not for
the others.

Snack seems to be only available for Linux and not well documented?!?

thanks for any help!

Chris Burkert

Jarek Zgoda

Chris Burkert <(E-Mail Removed)> pisze:

> Now what would you prefer as UI-library? I'm searching for a
> highlevel library with buttons, text boxes, dialog boxes,
> progress bars, ...
>
> I have heard of:
> - curses, ncurses ... low-level
> - snack ... wrapper for newt and slang
> - tinter
>
> Do you know of any other good library that is widely available?
>
> I have seen a lot of examples for curses and ncurses but not for
> the others.
>
> Snack seems to be only available for Linux and not well documented?!?

Snack should compile on any platform where SLang runs -- except Windows,
of course. If you mean "Windows, Linux, MacOS, MacOSX, OS/2 and any
other system where Python runs", there is no such library. In fact, if
you mean "Windows and Linux", there's nothing here also.

Text-mode interfaces are rather rare animals now.

--
Jarek Zgoda
Unregistered Linux User #-1