Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Bandwidth Throttling

Bandwidth Throttling

faels

We have a problem that occurs when a host from one subnet sends a
large amount of data to another subnet connected to the same router.
The device we are using is a Cisco 2600 Series router. When the host
on "subnet A" sends a large amount of data to a host on "subnet B",
the router is brought to its knees.

Is there any way to limit the amount of bandwitdth that a port can
use? Is there maybe a way to shrink the size of the packet for
certain types of traffic?

I just want to keep a rogue device from bringing down the network.

Vincent C Jones

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
faels <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>We have a problem that occurs when a host from one subnet sends a
>large amount of data to another subnet connected to the same router.
>The device we are using is a Cisco 2600 Series router. When the host
>on "subnet A" sends a large amount of data to a host on "subnet B",
>the router is brought to its knees.
>
>Is there any way to limit the amount of bandwitdth that a port can
>use? Is there maybe a way to shrink the size of the packet for
>certain types of traffic?

You might find it easier to just add the line "route-cache
same-interface" to the interface configuration. By default, one-armed
routing is process switched.

Good luck and have fun!
http://www.networkingunlimited.com

Bob by The Bay

Depending on how you're set up, you might be able to benefit from using CAR
(rate-limit command) and/or
one of the QoS tools like priority queueing or custom queueing.

FWIW,
Robert

news:(E-Mail Removed) m...